What input medium? Bamboo or trackpad?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by scooterguitar, Feb 14, 2011.

1. scooterguitar macrumors regular

Not sure which subforum to put this, but I imagine I'll do much more with photos.

I'd like to experiment with apps like Sketchpad Express and Pixelmator. To touch up, add effects, colors, etc..to photos, movies and such. Nothing too advanced, just home photos and band live videos.

What are the alternatives to use besides the mouse? The trackpad? I recall the bamboo pen but haven't heard about it. That seemingly sounds like the way to go.
    Thanks for any tips or advice.

2. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

The mouse is fine, unless you're doing a lot of "drawing" style work (like lots of masking)- in which case a graphics tablet like the Bamboo would be better.

I would not consider the trackpad useful for much of anything involving photo editing, it is simply too cumbersome and imprecise.

Ruahrc

3. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

It depends how much you want to 'experiment'.
    If you're serious about fine tuning details within a picture/photo, then you're going to need a graphics tablet of some kind to achieve acceptable levels of accuracy. If you're just applying filters to entire pictures then a mouse or trackpad will suffice.
    At a push you could use a stylus such as the Pogo Sketch on a trackpad, although it would be far from ideal for fine details. If you already have a trackpad it would be a cheap way of finding out how you get on with the software before committing to the more expensive graphics tablet route.
    It's worth mentioning that trackpads use incremental positioning, whereas a graphics tablet uses absolute positioning, which is much better for graphic editing.
    Ask around your friends to see if anyone has a graphics tablet, or try to get a demo in a shop. The Bamboo is the entry level Wacom, but they are very good.
    I use a Wacom Intuos 4 all the time and haven't used a mouse for years.

4. scooterguitar, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011

scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much for the insight!
    No, no trackpad now...that's why i was wondering between the two.
    I see myself using the stylus/pen option to pinpoint specific details and such.
    Which Wamu would you suggest? I can go for more than entry level if it does more than the basic and of course if I end up loving these sort of apps.