What Intel CPU is iPad 2.0 most similar?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ericinboston, Sep 7, 2011.

1. ericinboston macrumors 68000

Hi all. I am wondering what Intel CPU the iPad 2.0 is most similar to for speed/performance?

An Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz? Maybe an older Core Duo? Maybe even a Celeron?

I'm wondering as I would like to see the BOINC application ported to the iPad 2 world if the iPad CPU is powerful enough to make BOINC worthwhile.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Most likely Boink is mostly floating point sensitive. The A5 scores 915 on Geekbench 2. A 13" MacBook Pro with a Core 2 Duo P8400 @ 2.26GHz scored 4493 in the same test.

3. SidBala macrumors 6502a

There is no way the iPad can beat a desktop class processor under 5 years old.

Maybe an Intel Atom. Maybe.

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

G4's scored around 700. So the A5 is not that much better.
    1.8GHz G5 scored 1044 (this is in a 20" iMac)

BTW, I found that the A5 only scored 745. hmmmm. This is from the app MacTracker

5. coldmack macrumors 6502

Any ideas how the competing Tegra 2, and dual core Texas Instruments cpus compare?

6. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Keep in mind, even if you do port the BOINC manager itself to the iPad: each of the projects that are served up through the BOINC application contain their own separately downloaded, natively complied application, supplied by each individual projects' maintainers.

BOINC will only perform work on any given project on any given platform, if that project maintainer has already supplied a version of their application which has been complied to work on that platform. So, at least one of those projects would also have to port their project-specific application over to the iOS/ARM platform as well, otherwise BOINC would just sit there and do nothing, unable to find any queued work compatible with the platform.

Because BOINC is responsible for downloading and executing 3rd party native code, I think you would probably have serious trouble getting it approved for distribution in the iOS App Store. Hence, your potential audience for this app would be limited exclusively to people running jailbroken devices.

7. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

In terms of CPU performance they will be broadly the same as the Apple A5 as they all use the same ARM Cortex A9 cores.

8. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

it would be a bad idea to run boinc on an ipad even if it was supported. you'd wind up with heat issues since the cpu would be at max utilization, not to mention the power draw.

i've been active with various distributed computing projects since 2000 and wouldn't recommend running them on mobile devices, eg. laptops/tablets unless you don't give a crap about increasing the chances of having hardware cooling issues.