Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IllTakeAnApple

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
San Antonio, Tx
The guys from time warner are suppose to come and install road runner today! Im psyced but im pretty sure ill be getting a laptop here soon and am wondering if it is compatible with macs? My called and told me she heard on the radio that they do not. If this is true it will be devistating and ill have to look for a a good internet services. So im just curious which internet providers everyone here at MR uses?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Any cable ISP with an ethernet modem is generally Mac compatible. Road Runner is definitely compatible with anything if you use the ethernet from the modem instead of USB. USB requires drivers, which usually are Windows only.

I have RR, it's awesome!

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
ITASOR said:
I have RR, it's awesome!

I'll second that!! And I haven't had any problems connecting it to my Mac. They don't provide a free virus scanner if you have a Mac. (Like you'd need it anyway)

IllTakeAnApple

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
San Antonio, Tx
Oryan said:
I'll second that!! And I haven't had any problems connecting it to my Mac. They don't provide a free virus scanner if you have a Mac. (Like you'd need it anyway)

yeah when i went onto their site today it noted that the virus software was not avaliable for the macintosh. im sure there wont be a prob. im really excited to finally get highspeed!

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Cool. Make sure when they come over that you tell them you don't want them to install ANYTHING on your computers. Just get the mail servers and your username/password from them. They'll just make you go to activation.rr.com, it's simple.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I've used Earthlink or quite some time now (8+ years) and have been very happy with their Mac support. I'm getting itchy to switch though as Earthlink leases their DSL lines from local phone companies who are now undercutting Earthlink's cost. Part of me though would almost rather hand over an extra $7-10 a month to Earthlink rather than give it to SBC and have to change all my email info.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I've used: Dreamscape, Verizon Dial-up, Verizon DSL, Road Runner, Road Runner Dial-up.

Don't get Verizon DSL.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
I use RoadRunner, only complaint I have is that my modem is plugged into a wireless router downstairs and on the other side of the house, and the signal drops out/slows down the connection quite a bit. I've tried everything (repeaters, stronger antennas, etc) but nothing seems to work.

But when plugged directly into a Mac through Ethernet, its flawless. Just make sure to get a firewall if you have a Windows PC.

BKKloppenborg

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
La Mesa, Ca
I have Cox and i have having issues with plugging it in to Mac however i think its router because it will work fine if i plug it in Router then it works fine...

SBC works to just fine...

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
- generic dial-up (can't remember the provider)
- roadrunner high speed cable
- comcast high speed cable

roadrunner was ok but comcast is better. comcast is a lttle pricey but the service and customer care is good.

king_leonidas

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2003
GREECE
I live in a country who belongs to Europe,but in real life we belong in 3rd world countries. I have as isp the Forthnet(mac friendly of cource) and i have an adsl line 512 dl/128 up.The price? 96 euros a month. I know this is redicolous :mad:

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
ITASOR said:
I've used: Dreamscape, Verizon Dial-up, Verizon DSL, Road Runner, Road Runner Dial-up.

Don't get Verizon DSL.

hahaha....I've been using Verizon DSL for YEARS now and they've been really good

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
aricher said:
I've used Earthlink or quite some time now (8+ years) and have been very happy with their Mac support. I'm getting itchy to switch though as Earthlink leases their DSL lines from local phone companies who are now undercutting Earthlink's cost. Part of me though would almost rather hand over an extra $7-10 a month to Earthlink rather than give it to SBC and have to change all my email info.

I'm in the same boat. Have used Earthlink DSL for years. I just recently was thinking about Verizon for the very same reason, lower cost and higher speed. Really hate to change because of the hassle of changing E.Mail address. I was paying $61 per month with tax. Verizon is $30 at 3.0. So I called Earthlink to complain, was told that I could get 3.0 and a lower price. The later in the day was told Verizon would not allow, so I'm stuck with 1.5. It seems that Verizon is the Microsoft of the telecommunications industry. So at least now I will pay $50 per month with tax. I have heard a lot of horror stories about Verizon. Prefer the reliability of Earthlink.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.