What Internet Security suite do you use on your Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kjbill, May 29, 2012.

1. kjbill macrumors newbie

Hello Folks,

What complete Internet Security suite do you use on your Mac for online protection against viruses, malware, trojans, and phishing? Have you had any experiences with a couple? Which one you like best?

For instance:
    - Norton Internet Security
    - Intego Internet Security Barrier X6 Dual Protection
    - Kaspersky, etc.

Cheers!
    Bill
    :apple:

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I would not let anything Norton anywhere near any of my computers.

I use something called smart computing. I keep OSx up to date, don't download/run torrented software, don't go to dodgy sites, etc.

The "security suites" make your computer less secure.

Not to mention this has already been beaten to death in multiple threads in the forums.

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Absolutely! As has been said ad nauseam on this forum, there are no known Mac viruses and malware is self-inflicted. Items you quoted are totally unnecessary and can often do more harm than good.

4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

My brain. Priceless.

5. kjbill thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.
    Can you please elaborate. How is it that "security suites" make my computer less secure?

Cheers

6. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Why pay to get a virus? As far as I'm concerned Norton is a de facto "virus" in the way it slows down systems, phones home, and is a b1tch to eradicate.

Michael

7. kjbill thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies everyone! I appreciate it.

Whao! All these responses are a bog surprise to me. I didn't know these apps can be so useless.
    I have been running Norton Internet Security for many years on two of my Macs and I haven't had any problems.
    I am however aware on how much memory it takes. That's the only thing that is negative in my experience.

The reason I was asking these questions, because I am considering switching to something that doesn't take so much memory.
    I was reading that "Intego Internet Security Barrier X6 Dual Protection" can be a good choice and its not such a memory hog.

I also need something because a lot of my clients are on windows pc's and I don't want to transfer any PC viruses over when exchanging files.

8. Bear macrumors G3

That's the best reason I've seen to run AV software on a Mac, but what are you transferring over? Unless you're bulk transferring email with attachments or odd stuff you've downloaded, it shouldn't be an issue really.

What I suggest you get is something (if it exists) that will manual scan a folder and its contents for windows viruses right before you package something up for a client.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use a free product called "common sense and education".

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General

3. Disable Java in your browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox). This will protect you from malware that exploits Java in your browser, including the recent Flashback trojan. Leave Java disabled until you visit a trusted site that requires it, then re-enable only for the duration of your visit to that site. (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

4. Change your DNS servers to OpenDNS servers by reading this.

5. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.

6. Never let someone else have access to install anything on your Mac.

7. Don't open files that you receive from unknown or untrusted sources.

8. For added security, make sure all network, email, financial and other important passwords are long and complex, including upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters.

9. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
    That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any Mac OS X malware that has ever been released into the wild. You don't need any 3rd party software to keep your Mac secure.

10. gumblecosby macrumors 6502

The same as the one I use in Windows 7, ie. none at all.
    Both OS's are secure as long as you use common sense.

11. leau macrumors newbie

For both PC and MAC I wouldn't use any home security products. I recommend the business lines of products, and just a real-time scanner and virus scanner. Not email, spam, etc. etc. etc. Norton and Mcafee are in and of themselves viruses.

The business lines of most products tend to be no frills and run on less resources. My company uses Vipre Business for our clients, and so I grabbed a Mac Vipre business license from them for me and my family. It runs on well, since Mac does tend to be pretty bad about patching security holes.

However, like most have said, staying safe on the internet is 99% user choice.

12. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

One thing that I do at home is use opendns for my dns server. Although, not foolproof, it does help keep the rest of my family from visiting malicious sites.

I remember one case my wife told me that she was unable to get to a site that she needed to get to to load a program which was needed to print out a coupon she wanted. Opendns had marked this as a malware site and would not let her even visit it.

13. Apple..., Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

As others have said, it's all common sense. Don't bother wasting your time with any security services - they're pointless and just add bloatware to your computer.

Edit: Old thread. Whoops.