What iOS 8 feature is this and how do I turn it off

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Trekkie, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Trekkie macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

After updating all my phones to GM I have a new feature I never noticed when I ran the beta on just one phone.

When someone calls it, suddenly my other iOS devices start ringing along with it (iPad, another iPhone).

While a neat feature, one of my phones is my employer phone and i get a ton of calls on it, and having all my devices start ringing is a little weird.

I looked around, but I'm not sure what feature that is. Anyone know? That isn't handoff is it?

2. Ries macrumors 68000

Try under "Facetime" settings, disable "iPhone celluar calls"

3. Davewithak macrumors regular

I think this is the Continuity feature. I noticed it, too, when my iPad started ringing and I could talk on it.

4. JarScott macrumors 601

JarScott

FaceTime has done that for ages. But I think normal calls do that too with iOS 8 and Yosemite now.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Go into the Notifications settings on the other devices and alter them for FaceTime and Messages. You can set the sound to nothing, I think.

(Looking on my phone now, I can do that with Messages but not FaceTime. I'm pretty sure that iPads let you turn both off, though.)

This is not new (for FaceTime anyway) but installing the new OS must have reset the settings for you.

6. Trekkie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

OK. I think that was it. I'll let you know next time I get a call :)

Was hoping it wasn't handoff. Neat idea, but I get too many calls for work and my iPad ringing was crazy.

----------

I'm pretty sure it's new. I've never had it do this before, and only the devices upgraded to iOS 8 did this, along with Yosemite. My Mac OS X 10.9 laptop never flipped over.

7. muzzymate macrumors member

I've disabled Handoff and iPhone Cellular Calls on all my devices, but I am still getting call and missed call logs syncing between the wife and my phone. Anyone know of a way to disable? It's confusing to get a missed call popup on all phones.

8. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

It is handoff. Should be a way to disable under Settings somewhere.

9. Trekkie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

Are you using the same iCloud account on both devices? With iOS 8 they've gotten a lot more aggressive on syncing and if you use the same account they are working a lot tighter than they used too.

I'm hoping today the iOS Family Share stuff enables better than it is, as I'm having issues with my kids accounts I tried to create/found my daughter had created type of thing.

10. Padmini macrumors 6502a

Why on earth would these devices (belonging to different people) be logged in to the same iCloud account? This is not how iOS devices are intended to be used.

11. Trekkie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

I own an iPad Air, an iPhone 5 (personal) and an iPhone 5 (work). Why would I not use the same account on all of them, they're all mine.

12. Padmini macrumors 6502a

There is no reason to ever be sharing an iCloud account with different people, even your own family.

Sharing an iTunes Store account is something completely different, and does have a lot of merits. Probably more so than Family Sharing even offers.

13. Trekkie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

Prior to iOS 8 yes there was, you couldn't create accounts for two year olds. I turned off iMessage/Facetime and left on only Find My iPad. With iOS 7, Find my iPad got tied to the iCloud account for the security so I couldn't create the 'Find my' only option that worked prior to that. Again, with four children under 13 none of them could have an iCloud account.

I wrote a feature request for what is family sharing (mostly) about two years ago for iOS 6. I'm very excited to use it, just with the GM so far none of the web based iCloud features that support family sharing are working.

14. dojoman macrumors 65816

Looks like a lot cheating husbands are going be caught by wives with this feature. Imaging mistress was calling you while your wife was using your iPad.

15. JeepGC macrumors regular

I think you're referring to continuity. If don't want the office phone to ring every other device, just turn it off on the office phone.

16. muzzymate macrumors member

Plenty of reasons -

If you want to share a single family Address Book so all contacts are up to date. In fact you still do as I don't see the Family Sharing offering a solution to sharing Contacts.

Also, I have two small children. I wanted to make sure all photos be synced to our iPhoto library. This may change with Family Sharing but I'm not entirely sure yet. I didn't want to have to buy iCloud Storage twice. It was previously very expensive.

Regarding photos: "Now collecting and sharing family memories is easier and more fun. When Family Sharing is turned on, a shared album is set up automatically in the Photos app on all family members’ devices. Then everyone can add photos, videos, and comments to the album and be notified when something new is added." Doesn't sound like it's a single photo stream for all people, just a single shared album that people can contribute to.

17. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

So if handoff will ring your ipad for incoming calls, is it possible to make outbound calls from ones ipad via "reverse handoff"?

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

In order to share contacts, you can add a second icloud account under "mail, contacts, etc" and only turn on contacts.

19. muzzymate macrumors member

At least in the betas, I believe so, yes. You use the iPad's FaceTime app to initiate the call.

20. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

Yep, via your contacts.

Can click any phone numbers on websites and it'll call from the iPad too.

21. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

I also wrote and emailed Apple when iOS 6 came out for the feature that is now FaceTime Audio and with iOS 8 the number association with the Apple ID. :) it seems Apple DOES listen to its customers

22. muzzymate macrumors member

Cools, thanks! Didn't realize you could do that. Now just need a solution for a single all pictures, automatic photostream.

23. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

If we are going to be sexist by assuming the men are the cheaters, let's just take it all the way to the extreme.

Husbands won't get caught because they are the ones settings up the devices and accounts. It's the cheating wives that will fall into the trap.