iPhone What iOS will my iPhone ship with?

Pajamaxllama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
I am going to get a replacement phone from my mobile carrier because my screen is popping out of my iphone 5c. I need to know what ios version it will ship with because I have jailbreak and I would like to keep it. If the phone is shipped with ios 7.1 I can't jailbreak so I will probably just take my phone to the iphone fixing place near me instead of getting a new one.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
I am going to get a replacement phone from my mobile carrier because my screen is popping out of my iphone 5c. I need to know what ios version it will ship with because I have jailbreak and I would like to keep it. If the phone is shipped with ios 7.1 I can't jailbreak so I will probably just take my phone to the iphone fixing place near me instead of getting a new one.
How is anyone here supposed to know? We don't have control over what iOS replacement phones get.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
The only way to ensure you will keep your jailbreak is to have the screen fixed
If you get a replacement you are rolling the dice and the odds are definitely not in your favor

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

How is anyone here supposed to know? We don't have control over what iOS replacement phones get.
Yea, our crystal ball is in the shop being repaired ! :eek:
Do posters stop to think about such things before beginning typing ?

Chris7811

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012
well

first 5c means (5 crap) I am sorry but it really does and second just get the replacement it cans be that old and the software is usually is 7.0.4 I think or 7.0.6.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
It will obviously come with a never before-seen iOS 6.2. It was used for internal testing with some Apple devices (like your replacement phone) and includes some new features of iOS 7 (such as Activation Lock), but it keeps the iOS 6-style interface.

Unfortunately, there is no jailbreak for 6.2, so you will be just as out of luck as you would with 7.1. So you may as well just restore it.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
I would bet a lot that it does not come with 7.1

It seems that Apple has a lot of 5c's that they cannot sell. I doubt they went around updating all of their refurbished phones when the user can easily update them when they get home

kamalaggi

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013
I'd rather risk losing the jailbreak rather than fork out for a new screen. That's assuming the carrier is giving you a free replacement. Getting your screen fixed at the fixing place may also void any warranty your phone has left.

Jailbreak for 7.1 should be out at some point in the future.

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
I got an iPhone 5s at the weekend and it came with iOS 7.0.4

But there's no guarantee of anything.

Dave Felix

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2011
Scranton, Pennsylvania
iOS 7.1 came out recently. I highly doubt they have workers that go and update the software. The phone will most likely come off a shelf and has been sitting for months. You should be fine.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
highly doubt apple bothers to update their replacement iPhones
iOS 7.1 came out recently. I highly doubt they have workers that go and update the software. The phone will most likely come off a shelf and has been sitting for months. You should be fine.
This. I think it is too early for apple to have replacement phones on 7.1. Someone would have had to updated, had an issue, the phone got send back to their repair shops, and back to the store.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68030
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
first 5c means (5 crap) I am sorry but it really does
I don't understand how this is relevant. Honestly, before I would have agreed with you, but you need to go and actually use the iPhone 5c. When I did, I knew I needed to buy one. I'm still looking.

Since it is coming from the carrier, I would expect it to have an older version of the OS since the carrier could care less. Of course, there is a chance that it will run 7.1. I've never had my iPhone replaced by my carrier (Verizon), but with the experience I've had with Apple, the OS can vary. Months after iOS 7 launched, I received 2 replacement iPhones with iOS 6.1.4 installed. Interestingly enough, the phones were remanufactured in Dec 2013, and Apple was no longer signing 6. Interesting...

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I would bet a lot that it does not come with 7.1

It seems that Apple has a lot of 5c's that they cannot sell. I doubt they went around updating all of their refurbished phones when the user can easily update them when they get home
If it's a refurb it could have been updated.well an Apple refurb might be

However a carrier refurb who knows. I'm not sure they bother clearing the old data off them even