What iPad is best to get for eReading

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nerdy Keith, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Nerdy Keith macrumors member

Nerdy Keith

I'm thinking about getting an iPad, but don't want to get the most expensive one.

I'm thinking of maybe buying an iPad (1st generation from Amazon on eBay), as I don't really need any of the new features or extra space with the iPad 2 or iPad 3.

I want a device that I can use to read eBooks that is displayed in color. At the moment I am using the Amazon Kindle 3 for eBooks. Its a good device and I love the kindle store's variety of books. I was going to get a Kindle Fire (which is color screen), but its not available outside of the US. Amazon will only deliver to US residents.

Another thing that attracts me more to the iPad is the fact that I can run the Kindle app, and use iBooks at the same time. I've priced the iPad First Gen on Amazon and eBay both sites rage from around €200 for an iPad (which is a good price).

But the only thing I'd be concerned with is if future updates of Kindle and iBooks apps will pretty soon not support the original iPad. Or perhaps the iPad firs gen will suffer the same face as the iPhone 3 and its previous models which was that all updates of these devices ceased.

Would I be best to actually get an iPad 2 instead for the sake of being able to guarantee the chances of software and app updates?

2. RedCroissant Suspended

If I were you, I would buy a refurbished iPad2 from the Apple Store online. 16GB WiFi+3G and only $399. This seems close to the same price you quoted from other sites and with this, you at least get a warranty.

3. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

Text is so much more crisper on the 3, if u want to do a lot of reading, retina all the way

4. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

Kills me to say it, but, $79.00 Kindle. :apple:

5. Vizin, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  6. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

Despite your desire for the cheaper model, I think you'll find that buying the current version will give you the best value in the long term and the best quality.

The iPad 1 is already losing OS support in the latest iOS release. Both Kindle and iBooks will be offering greater quality content moving forward, but the device doesn't have the graphics power to handle everything that will likely come down the road. (interactive content, visuals etc.) As a result, the apps may no longer work or will simply not provide all content options.

iPad 2 will be supported longer, but lacks the retina display and isn't that far off in price.

If you're using it as an ereader, the 3rd generation will give you a much higher quality display, longer OS support and in my experience better battery life during light applications like eBooks.

The rumor mill is also pretty strong about an iPad mini which will (assuming the rumors prove true) carry a lower cost, smaller size (arguably better for reading) and a pixel density in between the iPad 2 and 3. If ereading is the main focus, it may be worth a wait and see.

7. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

8. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Given what you stated OP, I would recommend the iPad 3.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

So you've tried that iPad 3 in person and don't think that the retina display is of value for reading text or were you just looking at specs sheets to reach this conclusion?

11. Nerdy Keith thread starter macrumors member

Nerdy Keith

I had a demonstration in the apple store today. I'm now thinking possibly android. The iPads are way too big in size. At least the android comes in 7 inch display

12. -TYLER macrumors regular

Check out the nexus 7, starts at $199. http://www.google.com/nexus/#/7

13. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

This. I'd find a way to stretch to the base model of the 3. I've gone from 1 to 2 to 3 and given the amount of time I spend on my iPad (see my signature...) I can say without hesitation that reading, especially lots of reading, is a much better experience on the 3.

Wow. What a thoughtful and well crafted post. I've not been hanging around here for a while. Glad the level of discourse has taken a turn for the better! Nicely said.

I agree with all your points, except not caring about the retina display. The issue is that you most notice it when using it for hour upon hour as I do. All dyke every day. (Yes I can also tell the difference at a glance, but I'm talking about how my eyes feel at the end of a long day, which you can't judge until you've done it).

Again, I'd save for the base model of the 3 if at all possible. Or wait until the fall to see if they do indeed release the 7-8" model.