Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

which iphone cycle do you prefer?

• iphone # cycle

Votes: 30 33.7%
  • the S cycle

Votes: 35 39.3%
  • yearly iphone upgrade

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • back and forth between iphone and android

Votes: 5 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jbenn425

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
New Jersey
The 3G had the same CPU, GPU, RAM and camera as the original iPhone, except they added 3G and GPS which, arguably, should have been there from the beginning.

My beef with the upgrade to the 4 from the 3Gs comes from the fact that they didn't really give the 4 a fast enough GPU to drive the retina display. The upgraded camera and flash were welcome improvements though.

3G and GPS definitely should have been there from the beginning but they weren't, so that does make it a pretty significant upgrade. I never really had any problem with the 4, I sold it off right as iOS 6 and the iPhone 5 were being released, so the last version I used on it was iOS 5 and it was damn fast.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
It used to be that the "S" cycle had the big processing power boost, but I'm not sure that holds true since iPhone 5. The 5's A6 chip was a big jump over the 4S' A5.

I remember that iPhone 4 was not that much faster then the 3GS, and that the 3 was not much faster than the original iPhone.

nalk7

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I usually try to stick to the # cycle, I bought the original iPhone back in 07, upgraded to the 3GS, then the 4. My iPhone 4 broke a couple months ago, so I was forced to buy the 5S, I was waiting for the 6 though I can't complain, its a great phone.

Cheers

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
I upgrade every year but if I had to choose I would prefer the # cycle. It just seems more innovative to me when a new design is released. I've always been more impressed with features of the # cycle than the s cycle, such as the retina display, LTE, larger screen, etc.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
What iPhone cycle do you prefer?

I have been on the # cycle for now, but think the S cycle is better. Although you don't get a new design, just think to it as a supercharged # phone. It's the original, just improved. I plan on switching to the S cycle.

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
Mixed. Went from the original iPhone to iPhone 3G, skipped 3GS, got 4, skipped 4S, then realized the S models seem to be supported longer (no iOS 5 or even 4.3 for 3G, new iOS features only for 4S, etc), so waited through iPhone 5 to get the 5s and start the S cycle.

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
S cycle is best

I think the S cycle is the smarter way to go.

The # cycle (as you describe it) is the first version of each iteration, and in technology, I don't think you ever want version 1. The unexpected defects in manufacturing (antennae-gate + scratch-gate), and in coping with the new form factor always take a while to sort out. No prototype can ever be as fully tested as a final release. By the time the 's' version comes out, all these problems have been solved.

Plus with the form factor changing every two years, the accessories take a while to come out, and even longer to come out in more reasonably priced versions (sorry Apple but £15 for a cable? £25 for a lightning to 30pin adaptor? These are unreasonable prices). Many people buying a new phone, also want a case to protect it, and may want in-car kit to use it as sat nav. The choices at launch are very limited.

I think S is the way to go.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
My 4S is my first ever iPhone and I intend to keep it for as long as possible, even past my contract period, simply because I have an iPad for more of my heavy duty tasks.

The iPhone at this point is pretty much only for messaging, calling and Tapatalk.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
My first iPhone was the 3G, then I got the 4 then finally the 5S with a few Androids and a Lumia in between. As far as iPhones, I've always felt the S series were more desirable...I wanted a 3GS really bad when they were new, and also witnessed how much of a smack down the 4S put on the 4 when it was released. I decided this time I wouldn't get the 5 and would hold off for the assumed 5S and I'm so glad I did. Unless the 6 gets a bigger, higher res screen and more RAM, I'm staying with my beautiful gold 5S. :)

rich32gb5s

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
Berkshire
Improved phone and INTEREST FREE!!

Im ordering the 'S' this week. I always go for 'S' because as many of you mentioned its a tweaked version and any design issues mostly ironed out.

But one other thing you need to watch out for is that its still a good idea to wait fot the 'S' model to run its course for a few months as this will still have some issues that need addressing.

For this reason Ive decide to take the plunge now. Also Apple are now doing INTEREST FREE for 10 months on all purchases from the Apple store which they were not doing on launch as far as im aware.

WIN WIN situation now me thinks ;)

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I prefer the s cycle. The 3Gs fixed a phone that became unusable. Currently using the 4 and if I had the speed of the s I'd probably be happy indefinitely.

The 5 is the first phone that seems to have enough performance overhead for the foreseeable future but the new 64 bit s will probably see much better long term support.

obafgkm

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2006
I wish there was at least one more choice -- "Longer than a two-year cycle".

I actually don't have any smartphone -- my Audiovox 8610 (look it up) that I bought in 2006 still works for me.

If I did have a smartphone, it would likely be an iPhone, and I would hold on to it for more than two years.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I buy iPhones on my on-contract years (and promptly unlock them) and Nexus phones on my off-contract years. It keeps things interesting. :)

Nipommu

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
nothing beats a physical design refresh. i'll take a new design phone over a new internal/performance phone any day. never bought an S and probably never will as long as it looks the same as # cycle model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.