iPhone What iPhone/iOS is ideal for Jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Just2Ask, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Just2Ask macrumors newbie

I am looking for an iPhone, and one of the most important priorities is that it be jailbroken or jailbreakable.

Of course, I understand that there are differences between hardware models and iOS versions that are preferable for other reasons, but what should I be looking for if untethered jailbreaking is mandatory? Maybe it would be better to ask what I should *avoid*.

Ease and convenience of the jailbreaking process itself isn't a big issue, I want the best end result.

I have been reading about it a bit, but there doesn't seem to be immediately obvious answer to a complete newbie like me. It looks like there are different options for some iOS, but after a certain iOS version, wide open untethered full Cydia jailbreaks come with increasing compromises in convenience. Wiki has a nice little history of jailbreaks, sort of a brand neutral changelog, but it left me unclear. Would anyone mind nudging me in the right direction?

2. iRetired macrumors 6502a

iRetired

IMHO, an iPhone 4S with IOS 6.1.3 would be an ideal starter jailbreak phone/OS combination.

You can find them pretty cheap on eBay.

3. pdxmatts macrumors 68000

pdxmatts

I had PanGu for IOS 9 on my 6S+ and it was the most stable I have had and it was untethered. Anything after IOS 9 jailbreak is tethered now

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I have the same (notice I said have).

Going on three years with the 9.0.2 jailbreak on my 6s+. :)

5. Chukwe macrumors regular

I still have my iPhone 6 iOS 9.0.2 PanGu but it's now my gym music player.

I currently have an iPhone X iOS 11.3.1 jailbreak with Coolstar Electra Semi-tethered. Very much stable and I love it. If I want to use my bank apps for transactions both personal and business, I just reboot my iPhone to disable jailbreak. After my transactions, I just enable Airplane mode and rejailbreak it again which doesn't take up to 2 minutes.

I prefer the semi-tethered to untethered because of the flexibility using it