What iPhone to get?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by evamoree, Jun 29, 2016.

?

iPhone SE or iPhone 6s?

1. iPhone SE

20.0%
  2. iPhone 6s

80.0%
  1. evamoree macrumors member

evamoree

I am stumped when it comes to getting a new iPhone.

I currently have an iPhone 5s which I've had for over a year (previously owned by someone else who had bought it a month after it was released).

But now I am getting fed up with it. Its seen better days (marked and colour coming off around the side of the speakers- damage caused by its previous owner), I am getting fed up with the front colour (I had previously owned a white iPhone 4s and regret not changing my mind about the colour for the 5s), I am fed up with the thickness/back shape of it too.

This time round I'm going to buy a brand new (sim-free too) iPhone and not a preowned one so I have to make sure I can put up with it for at least 2 years. I am unsure whether to get the SE or the 6S. Its more of its aesthetic look that is making me unsure, because of how fedup I am with how the 5S looks. The screen size doesn't really matter much to me (though a bigger screen would be better for watching YouTube videos with). I have force touch on my apple watch and really like the feature.

The only thing that is really stopping me from getting the 6S is the £180 price difference. If I were to wait until September/October time (when they reduce the price) how much would be knocked off? At the price now would you see me better off getting the iPhone SE or the iPhone 6S with the qualms I have with the iPhone SE?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Only you can decide what phone works best for you.
    the SE is an awesome phone and I love mine, but its not for everyone. It lacks the following features that the 6s has

Second-generation Touch ID sensor
    5-megapixel FaceTime camera
    Barometer
    128GB storage option
    3D Touch display
    Dual-Domain pixels
    LTE Advanced

The 6s is a larger phone which many people really like, and has those features I listed above, so if any of those are must haves, get the 6s. If the smaller form factor is the major criteria in your must haves, then get the SE

Ultimately however you should wait until the fall to see what the iPhone 7 has and then decide SE vs. iPhone 7

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I think the SE is a no-brainer better deal than the 6s. But, you seem pretty dissatisfied with the form factor, and you'll be equally dissatisfied with the SE, which is identical.

So in general, my answer is SE. But for you, 6s.

4. evamoree thread starter macrumors member

evamoree

Definitely will be between iPhone 6s vs iPhone SE unless they reduced the iPhone 7 price (unlikely) and kept the headphone port (unless I loved the new design). Will barely be able to afford this phone as it is and probably won't be able to get before September.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 29, 2016 ---
    One thing I forgot to say is that my stepdad got an iPhone 6S and I was probably more excited about it than he was XD

If I finally manage to find a job then I'll probably get the 6S (been saving money for months rather than getting a job b/c of GCSE revision till just under a week ago) because I will be in a better position to buy one.
    Oh why did it get merged? i didn't mean it to be :/ how do i unmerge it? its two separate things

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I've got a 5S and it's a similar sort of story with giving up the ghost. Yeah get the 6S I'd say, especially from your description of your usage. Great hardware, and for me the form factor is just a little more comfortable and less straining than the 4" display.
    Posts auto-merge if it's one comment after the other by the same person.

6. evamoree, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016

evamoree thread starter macrumors member

evamoree

Yeah. I dunno if its cause I'm fed up with the colour and then that makes me notice everything else I dislike about the phone, or if I just generally noticed these things and find these annoying.
    oh that explains why it kept doing it xD first time using macrumors
    Yeah plus the fact I use my phone for games most the time so a bigger screen may be beneficial for these. If you get the 6S (and before I do) let me know what its like in comparison to the 5S.

7. Azzurro macrumors regular

IMO, it's better to wait since we're down to less than three months, 7 is just around the corner.

8. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Never ask a question like this on any forum. You are going to get both from strangers for the 6 or the 5se. Go to the store and handle and use both for your own decision making, not from strangers.

9. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

The 6S is a lot more phone than the SE. Get the 6S, you'll be happy you did.

10. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

As @maflynn mentioned, only you can decide what you like best. If you live near an Apple Store (or electronic store that sells iPhone's) go and handle both phones to see which you prefer.

I do love the SE since it's the perfect size for one handed use. I also have an iPad Mini for video consumption, so I do not watch YouTube videos or stream movies/TV shows on my phone.

11. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

For those who don't need the larger screen or take a lot of selfies, I have a hard time not recommending the iPhone SE, especially for those paying full price up front for one.

12. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

SE is a great small phone option. Great specs for the price.

13. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

The smart money is to get the SE.

If you really like force touch that much and want the larger screen, then try the 6s and see if you like it. You have 14 days to trial the bigger phone.

Wait till sept as the 6s will be cheaper then.