What is 4 Year AppleCare for Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by FoxyKaye, Jun 15, 2010.

1. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    I was doing some student price comparisons in the Apple online store, and stumbled across an item called "4 Year AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro" for $299 (see attached screen grab).

It had no description, however, it let me add it to the cart and start the checkout process. But I didn't want to finish the checkout for obvious reasons.

Is this a deprecated product, an error, something explicit to students, or something new? I couldn't find it in the online store when I was not logged in to an Education Store. It's Apple part number BD940LL/A, and a Google search turns up exactly one page.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. strausd macrumors 68030

Does it add 4 years or make it a total of 4 years with the original 1 year?

3. ZennZero macrumors member

Probably 4 total. That is usually the way AppleCare works.

Also, I presume this is aimed primarily at college students. I know 4 year AppleCare has been available for quite some time if you buy from campus stores -- Universities want their students to have technical support for the duration of their time in school.

4. goodcow macrumors 6502a

APP (AppleCare Protection Plan) is available in four and five-year increments on the: MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac and MacPro. It's for education sector purchases. It is not available on the Mac Mini or MacBook Air.

All Apple hardware we purchase where I work comes with four-year APP, because our hardware replacement budgets run in four-year cycles.

Four-year APP on a MacBook Pro is $549.

5. FoxyKaye thread starter macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Interesting... Is this something I could take advantage of as a student, or does it have to be through a specific program that my college has signed on to? In other words, could I walk in to an Apple store with a student ID and purchase a 4-year AppleCare for a new Mac Pro? Or maybe call Apple? For $100 over the cost of regular AppleCare, the 4-year seems like a deal.

6. goodcow macrumors 6502a

It's not for education end users, only educational institutions. The retail stores would have no idea that four and five-year APP exists.

7. goodcow macrumors 6502a

Having said that though, if you can checkout with that in your cart, it's still valid. APP is just an end date tied to the serial number of your Mac. So even if you're using it at home, it wouldn't matter, it'd be valid for four years.