Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I have a late 2013 MBPr with 802.11AC and I have 30mbps internet connection.

It's pretty fast already but what does 802.11AC mean and how can I use it to make my internet faster?

Thanks!

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
You won't see any increase in speed for your internet.
802.11n can already cope with everything a 30Meg connection can throw at it.

Barney

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I have a late 2013 MBPr with 802.11AC and I have 30mbps internet connection.

It's pretty fast already but what does 802.11AC mean and how can I use it to make my internet faster?

Thanks!

802.11ac means you can get up to 1 Gb/s (125 MB/s) speeds, if your internet connection supports it.

You can also saturate the 802.11ac's 1 Gb/s bandwidth by transferring files via AirDrop to another 802.11ac-capable Mac. I haven't tested this myself though.

tawfiqmp

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2009
Houston, TX
802.11ac means you can get up to 1 Gb/s (125 MB/s) speeds, if your internet connection supports it.

You can also saturate the 802.11ac's 1 Gb/s bandwidth by transferring files via AirDrop to another 802.11ac-capable Mac. I haven't tested this myself though.

To add to this, you also have to have a Wireless AC router.

tawfiqmp

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2009
Houston, TX
Not really. AirDrop works between Macs like peer-to-peer file sharing, so both don't have to be connected to a network at all.

I was only referring to internet speeds over wifi. You're not getting up to 125 MB/s speeds over wifi even if your connection supports it without a Wireless AC router. You need both sides, the router and the laptop to have AC compatibility in order to fully take advantage.

Airdrop, yeah, that's basically computer to computer so as long as both have Wireless AC, you'll get those speeds when sharing files.

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
I was only referring to internet speeds over wifi. You're not getting up to 125 MB/s speeds over wifi even if your connection supports it without a Wireless AC router. You need both sides, the router and the laptop to have AC compatibility in order to fully take advantage.

Airdrop, yeah, that's basically computer to computer so as long as both have Wireless AC, you'll get those speeds when sharing files.

Even then you'll be lucky to get half that speed due to wireless overhead.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Ahh I'm so confused. But thats OK. I just want to confirm it doesn't make a difference to me correct?

Like I don't need to get a new router or anything right?

I have 30mbps download and 4mbps upload.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Ahh I'm so confused. But thats OK. I just want to confirm it doesn't make a difference to me correct?

Like I don't need to get a new router or anything right?

I have 30mbps download and 4mbps upload.

No, your existing network is not a bottleneck for your internet connection. It would remain at the same speed.

If you had another 802.11ac Mac you would see much faster Mac-to-Mac file transfers.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
No, your existing network is not a bottleneck for your internet connection. It would remain at the same speed.

If you had another 802.11ac Mac you would see much faster Mac-to-Mac file transfers.

Ok so if I had another MBPr late 2013, what would I have to do in order to see this speed increase? Like how do I transfer the files? Bluetooth?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Ok so if I had another MBPr late 2013, what would I have to do in order to see this speed increase? Like how do I transfer the files? Bluetooth?

Bluetooth? No we're talking about WiFi.

You would only see improved speeds in transferring files from one 802.11ac device to another.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Bluetooth? No we're talking about WiFi.

You would only see improved speeds in transferring files from one 802.11ac device to another.

But HOW are you transferring the files here? Like I'm guessing it's not through email or iMessage. That's where I'm lost.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
But HOW are you transferring the files here? Like I'm guessing it's not through email or iMessage. That's where I'm lost.

*facepalm* Jesus H...there's something called YouTube to see how it operates.

You can transfer files over WiFi via AirDrop. You DO NOT need Bluetooth for this. You DO NOT need an internet connection for AirDrop to operate either. You DO NOT have to be connected to a network for AirDrop to operate.

Just switch on WiFi on both Macs, open up AirDrop in Finder and on the Mac with the desired file, drag the file into the AirDrop window to send it off to the receiving Mac.

Last edited:

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
*facepalm* Jesus H...there's something called YouTube to see how it operates.

You can transfer files over WiFi via AirDrop. You DO NOT need Bluetooth for this. You DO NOT need an internet connection for AirDrop to operate either. You DO NOT have to be connected to a network for AirDrop to operate.

Just switch on WiFi on both Macs, open up AirDrop in Finder and on the Mac with the desired file, drag the file into the AirDrop window to send it off to the receiving Mac.

Dude I'm new to Mac this is my first Macbook...

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005

From one Mac to the other. Over your WiFi network. Like you would with a wired network but without the wires. Mac or Windows it's the same thing.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Does ac provide other benefits, like increased range? Our n network at the moment is pretty fast, but just drops off in corners of the house. Is ac any better in this respect?

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
My late 2013 rmbp connects at around 700-900mb/s to my router depending where in the house I am.

It uses 5ghz so range is lost for speed. If I go to the far reaches I tend to swap to 2.4ghz, since my connection to the outside world is only 80mb/20mb.

I find it best to swap between what's needed.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Does ac provide other benefits, like increased range? Our n network at the moment is pretty fast, but just drops off in corners of the house. Is ac any better in this respect?
Yes, 802.11ac uses a better signal modulation technique, so that the devices can reach speeds > 1 GBit/s. This means also, that 802.11ac uses more error correction information. More error correction means that you can receive a "clean" signal, even in difficult situations. See also:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/produc...ies/white_paper_c11-713103.html#_Toc331821650

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
AirDrop DOES NOT require a wi-fi network to operate.

AirDrop uses something like a peer-to-peer connection method.

You're misleading the OP.

I'm not referring to AirDrop. I never used the term AirDrop, that was somebody else.

----------

airdrop does not run over your wifi network, you are confusing matters further for the OP

Not referring to AirDrop. Where did I talk about AirDrop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.