Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

akakillroy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Bethalto, IL
I am considering replacing my 1st Gen Mac Pro with a new iMac quad core 7i and I would like to get an idea of how much my Mac Pro is worth before I consider selling it. Places like Gazelle say its worth over $1500 but I find that hard to believe.

I believe its the 2.2GH or 2.26 GH but I have upped the Ram to 12GB and I have 2 x 250GB drives and 2x320GB drives in there, also added Blue-tooth and I have all original boxes,cables, etc. I even have a newer Wireless keyboard and mouse that I will send along with it. It has Leopard and iLife 09/iWork 09. And the stock 256K nVidia Video.

Thanks for helping.

SCSnare

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008
Austin, TX
I've been looking into this recently as well. I have a 1,1 Mac Pro with 16GB RAM and am trying to decide when I should sell it and buy a new one. According to the Buyer's Guide, I should wait (which I will probably do). Anyways, from what I've seen, spinnerlys suggestion seems to be pretty accurate. The $1500-$2000 range seems to be in line with what I've found online, depending on your specs.

Also, I figured out that mac2sell values 2GB RAM as $70. That might help you out figuring out a price if you use that site since they don't let you put in GB of RAM, only MB.

Chuck Fadanoid

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2008
Munich, Germany
How do these machines stand up today? I've seen a lot on e-bay recently, up to 3.0 Ghz, but I remember hearing quite a lot of complaints about the first Mac Pro after the Intel transition.

How would it be as a replacement for a G5 Dual 2.7? Would I notice much of a speed difference? I'm guess I'd notice a negative speed difference with my PPC apps in Rosetta - but would this still be the case with an Early 2008?

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
How do these machines stand up today? I've seen a lot on e-bay recently, up to 3.0 Ghz, but I remember hearing quite a lot of complaints about the first Mac Pro after the Intel transition.

How would it be as a replacement for a G5 Dual 2.7? Would I notice much of a speed difference? I'm guess I'd notice a negative speed difference with my PPC apps in Rosetta - but would this still be the case with an Early 2008?

The 2GHz 2006 dual dual-core Mac Pro (as the threadstarter has) was on par with the quad G5 for many things, but a better purchase overall. You can extrapolate performance from there for everything else. Any 2008 or 2009 Mac Pro will be a big step up.

i7SSD

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2009
Was thinking about this today as I have the 2008 edition Mac Pro

2 * 2.8ghz quad cores
nvidia 8800 GT
2gigs of ram

4 HDD's which comprise of ( All Sata 300 excluding the WD Raptor which is only 150 )

320gb hdd, 1.5tb hdd, 74gb wd raptor , 500gb hdd

Blue tooth and airport extreme ( wireless N )

wireless keyboard and mighty mouse

and still has about 2 years apple care left on it

Am in the UK so was wondering if someone could give me a rough idea of how much it should sell for in uk pounds ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.