What is a battery cycle?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JavaWizKid, May 17, 2009.

1. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

One full discharge and recharge of the battery or 100X 1% discharges/recharges or any combination like that. So if you use 20% of your battery and then recharge to full and do that 5 times, that's one cycle.

3. kpark42 macrumors newbie

A complete discharge followed by a complete charge of a battery.

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

A battery cycle is one full discharge and recharge of the battery.

For example, going from 100% to 0%, and back to 100% again is a cycle.

5. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Lithium Ion batteries have a life expectancy of about 500 cycles. They can start dying after 300.

7. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

It's not good or bad. It's just normal. Every time you recharge the battery, you add a cycle to it. All rechargeable batteries, regardless if it's a laptop, camera, iPod, etc. have cycles.

Batteries will eventually die though. That being said, your Mac's battery cycle will usually have several hundred cycles before it dies.

8. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought you help them live longer if you fully charge then discharge. Is that a lie?

9. techie4life macrumors 6502

There are some people out there that could argue either side. If you charge your battery to full, discharge it to 50%, charge it back up, then discharge it back to 50%, I think that's a cycle because it has been discharged 100%. Correct me if I am wrong.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

They do need to keep active. Even a battery with one cycle will die over time if its not used. Just use your battery normally and forget about it.

11. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

My MBP has 75 cycles and its almost a year old. Would you say that is good? It says the condition is good.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The is fine. Like I said, don't get fixated on cycle counts, just use your laptop like a portable and recalibrate once in a while.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

13. techie4life macrumors 6502

If your computer is a year old and you have 75 cycles on the battery, then logically speaking you should get at least another 3 years out of that battery. Don't worry about it. Batteries can be replaced if you don't sell the computer before then!

14. gelatin macrumors 6502

i always knew i had a ridiculously high cycle count but a about 15 months since i bought it ive had 720 cycles and 88% of its life remaining.
    what point should i get a new battery? its been feeling like its draining quicker recently

15. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Wow that is ridiculously high. Apple (under battery life span) says "a properly maintained battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 300 full charge and discharge cycles." So I say you are doing pretty well. Just get a new battery whenever you feel like the battery lifespan does not meet your needs anymore. This page covers battery replacements. You can buy them directly from the apple store.

16. gelatin macrumors 6502

whats the original capacity for a 17 inch MBP?
    mines at 5530 mah now