what is a cheap/free alternative to after effects or final cut pro?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ryan0402, Aug 9, 2010.

1. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

I am not cheap (Please do not say get a pirated copy because I will not tolerate that), but I just bought my iMac with my money from my summer job since I am only 14 and I have no more money. I would like a video editing software that lets me layer things unlike iMovie but does not have to be as advanced as After Effects. I am doing action scenes and have blood effects and muzzle flares so I would like to know what programs are out there.

2. brucem91 macrumors 6502

Blender has a pretty decent compositor (muzzle-flashes and vfx), and blender also has a basic NLE (non-linear editor, for arranging clips). You may have to do some research on the internet to get the hang of blender. If not, I would recommend saving up for Final Cut Express ($200) from Apple.

3. ryan0402 thread starter macrumors 6502

I wish I have $100 dollars but I am spending 50 on the windows 7 student upgrade through my uncle. And doing boot camp with it so I guess I have to wait for soccer season and do some reffing

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can also use the trial of AE and Premiere for 30 days each, both allow layering. Use AE or Premiere for the first 30 days, after that use Premiere or AE for the next 30 days. Then you might have enough money to get an education version of AE or even be able to afford FCE.

5. ryan0402 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have downloaded the master colection, so then i get 90 free days. sick :p
    ps how much is student discount for both

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

7. ryan0402 thread starter macrumors 6502

I do not think I will spend $200 unless I become a youtube partner and make some money with the views

8. FroColin macrumors regular

Spending the 200 is totally worth it. Final Cut Express is an amazing program. I just turned 16 and have finally been able to upgrade to Final Cut Studio and having the experience with FCE is awesome. I know you don't want to hear that you should spend 200 dollars on a program but when I was around 12 or 13 I spent months trying out every single free video editing program I could. Then I went to the trials of the cheap stuff but what I have found is that Final Cut Express is the cheapest way to be able to use professional tools.

9. FroColin macrumors regular

Oh and btw Adobe Production Premium CS5 is something like 500 bucks (You get Photoshop, Premier, After Effects, Soundbooth, Illustrator, Flash, Encore, and.... I think that's it) It's a GREAT deal, if you can afford it. But personally I like even Final Cut Express better then Premier.

10. danimal99 macrumors regular

You really should just spring for Final Cut Express. Do what I did - buy FCE 1.0 or 2.0 for next to nothing on ebay, then you can buy the Upgrade to FCE 4.0 for a total cost of around $100. Then you'll be set for when you eventually move up to Pro.

Like the other guy said, when I upgraded to Final Cut Studio 3 when I started taking Broadcasting classes, the experience I already had with Express made all the difference. Instead of having to take time learning the system, I was already cranking out video.