What is a decent (brand new) Mac for home use?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kylera, Jul 18, 2016.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

My iMac is starting to show issues, and in case it can't be salvaged, I'd like to seek advice for a new home Mac.

I use the term "home Mac" since I have a Surface Pro for most of my work and school needs, so the Mac won't be for a lot of needs. Here is a list of things I on my Mac and the apps I use, off the top of my head:
    • Manually sync my music and backup my iOS devices (iTunes)
    • Manage and play my music library (iTunes)
    • Keep a journal (Day One)
    • Keep a home inventory (Tap Forms)
    • Maintain a digital library of annotated articles (Ulysses)
    • Emulation of retro consoles (OpenEmu)
    • Manage photos (Photos)
    My budget is USD1500. This budget also includes an external FHD monitor if I end up getting a Mac Mini equipped with a fusion drive. However, I'm open to other suggestions. I also would like to request suggestions for brand new devices if possible because I would rather keep using supported devices for as long as possible.

2. Appleaker macrumors 68000

iMacs are about to get refreshed this fall so you may want to see if you can get a 21.5" as there will be more 4K models and better graphics. Therefore I would recommend an iMac unless the Mac minis get a surprise update this year, as the current ones are outdated.
    If you need to get one before September/October then the current 1080p iMacs are also good along with the Mac minis, which to be honest should be fine with your usage.

3. kohlson macrumors 6502a

Performance issues in a 5-year old iMac could be related to disk and/or memory. Without knowing the specifics, consider an SSD replacement. That said, it looks like you want lots of space, so an HDD and more memory may be more affordable. Other options - refurb'd iMac 27 or a mini with fusion. The mini and a Full HD monitor should come in under budget.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Any modern computer should do that work case fine, buy what you like, as mentioned above though you possibly just need a new hard drivers an ssd's will make it better than new.

5. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

My parents 2013 iMac was having the same issue I bought them a cheap 30 buck SSD external HD for boot up purpose and it's super fast now. Don't know if dropping 1500 for just surfing the web at home is a great investment if you don't really use your computer. Any way to just connect your surface to a bigger screen and a large external HD when you get home?

I usually upgrade all my electronics every 3 years because I can still get at least half of what I paid for it at that point. I was going to do that with my dad's iMac but the SSD really fixed the issue.