What is a g4 worth these days?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by akdj, Nov 5, 2008.

1. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I was visiting our local Mac Reseller shop and noticed they had an "in house" refurbished Powerbook G4. 1.5G RAM OSX10, in house warranty....but the BIG deal for me is the expansion ports "Normal" size compared to my current Intel MBP.

I am transferring P2 media and it fits directly into the slot on the older notebook, instead of carrying around a bulky adapter that sucks. All I need it for is offloading video in the field. If it broke, it wouldn't be the end of the world (because of negligence while working) as they are asking $500 for the computer. Should I counter offer or is this a decent deal? Obviously, it's not the latest Intel chipset, but will it last for a while? If it is the original screen, is it still "vibrant" and will it remain that way. I am a relatively new convert to Mac, certainly ONLY since the Intel chipsets have been available across the line....How old is the PB G4? It is the model with FW800, which is awesome....again, for off loading of video. Looks to be in perfect shape, just not sure if it has much life left...from the fellas that own the shop, I would be confident that it has been well taken care of. They have been around for 15 years and truly take good care of the customers (free Friday night Mac classes, day of upgrades, etc.).

Would you guys pay 500? Or just buy a new, cheap PC (I don't want it, but I have to have the standard 54 or 56 whatever mm PCMICA, or whatever:) slot....not this goofy little one for transfer). It would also be nice to have a back up ITunes compatible computer for shows.

Thanks,

Jer

Th

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What are the specifics besides the RAM of the PB? Is it 12, 15, or 17"? What processor speed?

3. south8212 macrumors 6502

I just bought 2 powerbook g4's off ebay as backup computers. Both were 15" 1.6, 1 gb ram, 100 gb hd's. Paid 510 for the first and 550 for the second. If the one you are speaking of is a 15 inch with 1.5 gb of ram and in great shape i would jump on it.

4. vista.john macrumors regular

Really depends on the specs and shape. If it is the last generation before Macbook pro came out. It is worth more than 500$. I got rid of mine (bought right before first Macbook Pro) for 1000 mid last year with applecare and MSOffice2004 package.

5. akdj thread starter macrumors 65816

akdj

I would say it is in (physically and visually) mint condition.

The owner has refurbished it and run the "Apple Diagnostic" program "ASD" and it passed all tests.

OSX 10.5

Restored to original condition (Fresh OS install and clean HD)

80 gig HD

1.5ghz processor

15" screen with 1.5gigs or RAM

No Warranty, As is, but again, I am confident with these guys, and I will take it for a test run.> All indicators on Ebay are that it is a deal (all G4 15" bids are ending about $500).

Thanks again

Jer

6. south8212 macrumors 6502

Sounds like you have a winner!

7. akdj thread starter macrumors 65816

akdj

Unreal...I just bought it.

My name is Jeremy....I am a Mac Addict:confused:

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

9. vista.john macrumors regular

10. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Sounds like a good deal ... However ... Hello ... My name is Jim and I am a Mac Addict. Perhaps we can start our own 12 step program? :D

11. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

ha, well at least we already have a place to hold the meetings!

not like there arent a huge amount of crazy Mac addicts on MR!!!

nice buy for 500$, it may last longer than the intel :)

12. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Smoking deal.

They are still great computers. But remember, I still use 68k systems, so take my opinion lightly ;) .

[​IMG]

13. south8212 macrumors 6502

Good Buy! Now your making m go back to ebay to see what i can pick up!

14. akdj thread starter macrumors 65816

akdj

So cool to be amongst friends!

I love it! Came with a fresh load, first boot I went through the OSX intro, love that song!

Screen is dim compared to my Intel...so I just lower the lights:) Not too dim, all seems to work perfect. The HD is louder than I am used to, but how freakin cool....$500 for a perfectly good field transfer station. With FW800, STUPENDOUS!!!!

Lovin' it....I loaded FCP, Logic, Compressor, Live Type, Soundtrack, Motion and DVD Studio Pro...some of the CS3 suite this afternoon. It will be cool with these Power Books and CS3's price dropping with the release of CS4! There are SO many tools I've never taken advantage of in CS2, much less 3....and this computer will run the programs just fine.

Cool stuff.

J