What is a good 250-300GB external Hard drive?

BLINK

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
As the topic states, anyone know of a good 250 gig or 300 gig ex hard drive? Preferably a good speed but doesn't need to be blazingly fast. I am looking for a good deal. I dont want to spend tons of money on this. Thanks.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Lacie Big Disk Extreme. (Edit: forgot also the D2 models)
Solid, FW800 & 400, some models have USB 2

If you want value, then build your own. Buy a case from newegg.com or another online supplier and get an internal drive to put in it, you'll need some cables as well...

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
Blue Velvet said:
Lacie Big Disk Extreme.
Solid, FW800 & 400, some models have USB 2

If you want value, then build your own. Buy a case from newegg.com or another online supplier and get an internal drive to put in it, you'll need some cables as well...
Go with Blue - she knows what she is talking about. I have had nothing but good things from LaCie. I am sure you will be another one. (should you choose to purchase it.)

kyle

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
jackieonasses said:
Go with Blue - she knows what she is talking about.
I don't really – I only recommend things that either I or my friends have bought for work or home... I can't say whether this disk or that is better but I have never been disappointed in Lacie's external HDs. They might be a bit more costly up front but they last for ages thus representing good value – bit like Macs really :)

I hate false economy i.e. buying a cheaper product if it's only going to fall to bits in a short space of time. Spend a little more, get quality and when the bills have long been paid, you'll still have an item that still works as it should...

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
What exactly are you using the HD for? If it is just for basic backing up, the LaCie's are great. For audio and video, you may want to explore some different options that may cost more, but are worth it.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
BLINK said:
As the topic states, anyone know of a good 250 gig or 300 gig ex hard drive? Preferably a good speed but doesn't need to be blazingly fast. I am looking for a good deal. I dont want to spend tons of money on this. Thanks.

LaCie d2 (FW400,800, USB 2.0) 250 gig has worked a treat for me. Is what I am recommending to my friends...although larger sizes, as the sweet $ to GB ratio has moved up.

BLINK

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
Thank you for the replies. One last question. What do you all store on the external hard drive besides backup data?

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
BLINK said:
Thank you for the replies. One last question. What do you all store on the external hard drive besides backup data?
Video Folders: All video files in folders from past and present projects
.dmgs of all projects converted to dvd for future burning need
X

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
xsedrinam said:
Video Folders: All video files in folders from past and present projects
.dmgs of all projects converted to dvd for future burning need
X

Yeah my iTunes library (35 gig), my home video projects (100 gig) and other bits and pieces that have added up from TV recordings...

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
My 500GB LaCie Big Disk had constant bad sectors. I'd recommend looking at the OWC Mercurys. I have three of those and never had a problem.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
LaCie d2 250 GB & Acom Data 160 GB

I have Acom Data's 160 GB external HD and LaCie d2 250 GB Triple Interface. So far, both of them are doing okay. Acom is in the plastic casing and LaCie d2 250 GB is in the solid aluminum casing which complemetns both of my Ti PB and Al PB.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
I just picked up a LaCie d2 250 today... I figured it was time to get serious about regular backups.

So what backup software is everyone using?

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
I reccomend Maxtor OneTouch Firewire/USB 250 GB external drive for Windows and Mac.

Amazing speed, great quality drive.

My dad has it and we share it wirelessly.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Flowbee said:
I just picked up a LaCie d2 250 today... I figured it was time to get serious about regular backups.

So what backup software is everyone using?
I use the included SilverKeeper and it works a treat.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
i just got a Medea G-Raid Drive. It was kinda pricey compared to Lacie, but it has an internal fan. Keeping the drive cool, making it last longer, and its good for video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.