What is a good alternate to wine?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by italiano40, Oct 7, 2007.

1. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

What is a free and good and easy to easy emu that is like wine, that only runs programs and not the whole windows OS

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

There was a beta of Crossover Office which was free, which worked well for some programs.

Not sure if it's still around, but you should be able to find a download of the beta somewhere or other to fiddle with.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I'm confused did swiftaw actually give the answer to the thread before it was even posted. If so mad jew must be scared because you have taken it to a whole new level.

Attached Files:

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

5. italiano40 thread starter macrumors 65816

italiano40

I need a free alternate to wine that is FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT a FREE TRIAL

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Woah there, all caps implies shouting which isn't polite and is received as such. To be honest it is a very complicated thing so to get a free version other than wine is pretty unlikely as there is money to be recouped on development time.

7. dadsp33k macrumors regular

dadsp33k

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

There really isn't anything good thats free...

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wouldn't alternative to WINE imply something that isn't WINE? Crossover is just a commercial packaging of WINE with some enhancements....

P.S. One cannot go wrong with long island iced tea. Well, one can go wrong. But one will not regret it. :)

10. italiano40 thread starter macrumors 65816

italiano40

is their a free way to get parallels other than bittorrent because i don't want to goto jail.

11. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

As parallels is a commercial product any way of getting it that is free (bittorrent or not) is probably not legal. Plus, you'd then need a copy of windows on top of that.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Well I guess you could ask very nicely to see if the fine folks at Parallels would give you what they charge other folks $79.99 for. :rolleyes:

FWIW VMWare is cheaper as of right now it's still $59.99 after rebate.

B

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I got all excited I thought we were talking about wine.
    Wtf is up with that?

14. carlgo macrumors 68000

Well, I thought about it and concluded that some of the fu fu cocktails taste like fu fu wine coolers formulated for middle school kids.

An occasional helpful capital letter is a lot to ask for from the lower case Types, but of course they are drinking fu fu wine coolers, if not Kool Aide.

Note that if I did not capitalize Kool Aid it would look like I was refering to a hip helpful person, rather than a popular suicidal beverage.

This all helps us read things quickly, with understanding, or not.

15. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

The Beta wouldn't be a free trial. It just wouldn't be the finalized product and might have some bugs.

And there's no need to shout, we're only trying to help. (well apart from the whole alcohol theme which has creeped in somehow...)

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the parsimonious answer needs to be said once or twice more. There ARE NO alternatives that do what WINE does -- run Windows without using Windows -- free, or otherwise. Crossover is just an extension of the Wine project -- it isn't a different technology.

17. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Get your mom to buy it for you.

18. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I just got the whole alcohol thing. Hell am I slow today...:rolleyes: