What is a good back up phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Natesac, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I love my Iphone 3g and I am very careful with it. It is also my first phone with a sim card. I was wondering what were some good cheap or older phone models that I can use with my at&t Iphone sim card. I would like to have a backup phone to swap the sim into for when I go do things that could be a little too risky for the iphone to be in my pocket. such as going the lake or concerts and stuff

2. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

Uhh... you want cheap so you can not care about it? or do you want another nice one, just less expensive?

I'd say the blackjack II is a less expensive alternative. I've used it, loved it... no touch screen, still does quite a bit, made well, durable, and pretty cheap in price.

3. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

i second this...

i have the blackjack2 right now and its pretty nice

but if you want a phone that you can just not care about buy one of those att prepaid ones and just use that with your sim card in it

4. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

do the contacts save to the sim card? I might just ask around to some friends to see if they have any extra sim card phones. Also do I need to be worried about what carrier they come from?

5. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

yes you do

its their not att or cingular they wont work

and the contacts should save to your sim card.

i do not have an iphone yet (will soon ;) ) but they should save to your sim

6. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

iphone contacts are not on your sim card, i dont believe..... but check this out, if you get a new phone you can do this.

1.) Put your iphone sim card in the new phone
    2.) Type in all of your contacts on the new phone, manually.
    3.) Save each of these contacts to the sim card
    4.) Now, every time you put your sim card in your iphone it will be just like it was originally.... but everytime you put it in your other phone, it will have the contacts on it for you. :)

I used to do this occasionally.

7. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

thanks for that, now i know:)

8. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

that was my plan when I first got my iphone but after about two weekends I didn´t want to go without my phone anymore :)
    so put my nokia in the drawer again ...

9. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

No problem. I was thinking of doing the same thing until I actually got my iphone3g, now... i find that it actually works great as just a phone, on top of the other things it does.... so i dont have a reason to be without it.

I havent gone fishing yet with it though, so that does sorta concern me a little.... hmmm

10. Jeremy W macrumors regular

I'm fairly certain that the iPhone does not save contacts to the SIM card, it can only read contacts from it.

11. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

yeah but you guys arent 16 year old binge drinkers :rolleyes:

12. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

exactly, which is why it'll be perfect to have a 2nd phone with contacts stored on it. you can go back and forth without the risk of having the iphone remove the contacts.

13. Jeremy W macrumors regular

Yeah, it's just much more of a pain in the ass than with other SIM-based phones.

14. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

No, we're 26 year old guys... that without our wives / girlfriends / kids tend to get a little more rowdy than we probably need to lol. I'm more scared of it falling in the water though... or taking it with me to the beach :eek:

15. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

yeah i was just looking for a "burner" to use when I might me doing something like phone risky. i'm going to the river this month and the beach a little later. I cant risk losing the iphone. now all I have to do is poll my friends to see who has an old at&t or cingular phone in a drawer.

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've kept a Motorola KRZR with all my contacts stored to the phone itself. :cool:

17. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Nokia 3310. The phone is an indestructible machine.