What is a good dock for the 11in MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mkrndll, Jun 10, 2013.

1. mkrndll macrumors member

So I will be updating my 11in MBA with the just announced update. I have been using this for a while as my everyday machine and once I get to the office I just connect it to an iMac and use its screen and a set of peripherals. It is perfect, the only issue is that it is a bit of an inconvenience to plug and unplug everything all the time.

I am looking for a good dock in which I would just place the MBA and everything would get plugged in (1 plug, instead of 7). What's your experience with these?

Thanks for reading and sharing.

2. jdechko macrumors 68040

A thunderbolt docking station is going to be your best bet. Out of all of the one's I've seen, the CalDigit Thunderbolt station ($199) looks to have the best price/features ratio, but that's just based on my needs.

If you need it now and have the money to burn, Belkin has the inferior Thunderbolt Express Dock for $100 more than the CalDigit. But it's shipping now.

3. mkrndll thread starter macrumors member

I feel drawn to the Landing Dock one, which is a similar price than the CalDigit, seems to have similar specs and is already available, but other than that I don't have arguments for it.

Have you tried any of them personally?

4. mattferg macrumors 6502

There's no dock that'll just be one cable. You'll still need to plug in power and thunderbolt.

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

I haven't used any of them, honestly. The Landing Dock seems to have fewer ports on it that would matter to me. For instance, the CalDigit has Thunderbolt and HDMI instead of Thunderbolt passthrough, as well as audio in/out. It's also smaller, even portable, which I think would be better. Finally, regarding the Landing Dock, I'm personally not a fan of that type of dock, but to each his own.

6. mkrndll thread starter macrumors member

True, and at the same time you don't necessarily have to plug them in manually. Check the Landing Zone one, for instance.

Indeed. Thank you for sharing about the CalDigit. I didn't know about it before and I will consider it.

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I can let you know about the Landing Zone dock soon.

Personally... I do not care too much about the actual docking capability. I have a corporate policy requirement to have my laptop secured when away from my desk. If not... security will confiscate it... and then (I'm making the rest up) whack your knuckles with a ruler before they give it back.

Any old kensington lock is fine. The Landing Zone Pro 2 seems to be the least invasive way to add locking capability. I just need the TB + 1 USB connection... because I have a 27" ACD. I haven't decided if I'll use the built in 1GB ethernet connector (which requires installing a driver)... or just continue to use the 100Mb dongle connected to a USB port.

I previously would keep my laptop locked in a cabinet... and then ran a bundle of wires to my desk. I recently switched to a "sit/stand" motorized desk... which reduces my options using a locked cabinet. The Landing Zone dock seems the easiest path given my current environment.

/Jim