What is a Good DVD Authoring Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tphan, May 14, 2008.

1. tphan macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a MBP 2.2 intel core duo. I was searching for a program that is good for converting divx movies to dvd. For PC, there is a great program called ConvertXtoDVD. I have been searching for something similar for my mac but nothing so far. Anybody have any tips?

Thanks.

2. randyharris macrumors regular

BURN is a free application that can do it, without menus, and my preference is Toast.

3. ruffy macrumors member

randyharris - but why?
    Can it create chapters?
    Is it easy to use?
    Does it work well with today's "hardcams"?

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Thanks for the heads-up. The whole thing in iDVD with making menus is starting to get to me.

I'm old school - just pop the disc in and play (just like tapes.... :eek:)

5. tphan thread starter macrumors newbie

Menus are nice to have with DVDs. Sometimes you want to get to the right chapters. Hopefully a good app for mac will come soon.

6. ruffy macrumors member

Had bought a new Macbook Pro, to get me into this platform after years and years on that other one.

Later got myself this new JVC Everio-G hard-disk camcorder.
    You'd think JVC offered you some good software to accommodate their product - for the Mac, as their box claims. No such thing! They rely on your smarts to use it in conjunction with other Apple products. But that's the thing I'm stuck at, namely, not knowing how to integrate the whole works to simply create a DVD - the normal and expected outcome. They DO supply Windows users, mind you, with that one product that does this all for you (but it's got to be XP, or die!).

I've now tried Toast, but I had problems with that because the sound ws not continuous as was the film. Every second or so was muted out. So there went a lot of resources down the tube, including time.
    then there was ffpg&$! or whatever it's called - that was for guys who live this stuff and breathe it. To me it was Chinese. I should have known by the name they chose. Then there is this Burn, but reading what it does tells me I need to still rely on Apple products. I did try the stuff on my Mac, iDVD, but it too is a hard obstacle to figure out - let alone IF it can do it.
    Mind you -- I've been with computers well over 30 years, so if I've got problems, so do many others.

While I lived on Microsoft, Nero did do the trick for me - although it took a light year.