what is a good dvd converting software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by madmartigan, Mar 5, 2008.

1. madmartigan macrumors member

hey guys i just bought a new 17inch mbp and want to know what would be the best software for converting dvd's to my computer, and for burning movies to dvd's.

also is it possible to burn shows that i buy on itunes to dvd, and what happens to the files after you take a dvd movie and convert to a file on your computer. can you put that in itunes?

2. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

If by "convert" you mean convert to mp4 or something like that to play on your computer, then you want Handbrake, which is free.

If you mean to transfer the whole of the DVD to your computer, you'll want mactheripper. (You can also use mactheripper to transfer all the DVD data to your computer and then compress it to Handbrake afterward.)

iDVD is fine for many wanting to burn movies to DVD. If you're more serious and want something more powerful, you'll want to buy Toast, which many people around here use.

3. madmartigan thread starter macrumors member

cool thanks, but what about this popcorn software im hearing about?

4. theom macrumors newbie

cinematize

I had very good luck with this software.
    not free but worth the $ imho

http://www.miraizon.com/products/products.html

I had to pull footage off dvd's with audio to edit promo a coming attractions reel dvd.

It allows you to preview and choose only the footage you need, rather than convert to whole thing. very nice choices for output format and audio formats.

I did the edits in imovie then burned to dvd, all on a ibook.

btw: never had a problem with copy protection.