What is a good keyboard shortcut to use for Siri that's not already used by the system?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by cas85, Jun 15, 2016.

1. cas85 macrumors regular

Looking for a recommendation for an external monitor/keyboard setup. Does anyone have anything in mind that makes sense and is intuitive to access?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I find the double-tap FN is pretty useful and doesn't conflict with anything.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yeah, I was coming in to say that double-tap FN is what I use for Dictation too and that would work fine with Siri in the new OS.

4. cas85 thread starter macrumors regular

5. smizzle macrumors regular

smizzle

Depending on how well it works, I was thinking of replacing it with the key command to launch spotlight. It's a shame you can't use a gesture. I would probably just use the launchpad gesture, since I don't use that much.

6. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Interesting thread...I never thought of this but double tapping the FN key is a good idea. I'm interested to see what everyone comes up with, especially if the newer MacBook Pros lose the F key row. I agree a gesture would be nice though - I use gestures for pretty much everything that can also be invoked by a dedicated key.

7. lunarworks macrumors 6502a

The Siri control panel gives you the option to use Fn+Space. Are you already using that for something else?

8. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

I did CMD S for Siri I dont ever see myself starting in Single user mode. Which may still infact work since the system hasn't booted.

9. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Not in a habit of saving files with keyboard shortcuts then?

10. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Not really

11. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I didn't even think about the function keys going away on the new MBP with the new bar... You'd think they'd just repurpose the FN as the Siri button though because there's nothing else that could take that spot. They'll most likely keep the power button tactile on the top right.

12. Wheelie4 macrumors regular

Wheelie4

Being a quadriplegic and having to use the Mac feature "sticky keys" requires me to use the FN key quite a bit. If they repurposed it for Siri would severely put those of us that require using "sticky keys" due to mobility difficulties in a bad situation. :)

13. dBeats macrumors 6502a

dBeats

I've been experimenting with Cmd-Space being both spotlight and Siri. It's a good reminder for me that when my muscle memory goes to Cmd-Space, I can try if Siri can do it for me.

14. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Command-Period. I use it for HiddenMe.

15. TheColtr macrumors regular

Command-spacebar is used for spotlight so I use option-spacebar for Siri. I don't believe option-spacebar is used for anything at all.

16. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

I use Fn + spacebar for Siri, and of course Command + spacebar for Spotlight. It's easier to remember about it, because with both features you use the spacebar. And both do they serve the same purpose. :p

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use cmd-s way too much for saving files. While that works for you, its a major key-combination that is use extensively.