Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
I had one of my iBooks stolen from right under my nose so now I am looking for a good cable/security lock to use when I take my baby out.
I do prefer the key locks over combination and at least 6 feet of cable.
A anti theft warrantee/guarantee would be nice too
Any suggestions ?

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I also have Kensington laptop chain to secure the notebooks. I use the one with 4 digit keys you can set to your liking. Default is 0000. But, you can change to any number. I think it is better than the one with the key as you can loose the key!

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
According to my latest issue of MacWorld (May 2005, page 60), the only lock that Marc Weber Tobias (the expert behind Security.org...) recommends is the PC Guardian ComboLock. I've never used a lock myself.

find.macworld.com/0323

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i think any lock by kensington will do the job nicely. i have one that has been in use for 2 years and it hasnt fallen apart etc yet!

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
russed said:
i think any lock by kensington will do the job nicely. i have one that has been in use for 2 years and it hasnt fallen apart etc yet!
Duff-Man says....the problem isn't with them falling apart...it is that they can easily be "picked" - in most cases with something as simple as a business card....oh yeah!

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says....the problem isn't with them falling apart...it is that they can easily be "picked" - in most cases with something as simple as a business card....oh yeah!

if someone wants to steal something, they will do. the main reason for using a cable like this is more a visual thing, stops the unplanned robbery where someone just walks past and picks it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.