What is a good MP3 converter? - Easy CD-DA Equivalent?

Gareth-HFX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
Hello all,

Recently switched to Mac after many, many years on Windows. Here's what I've got;

---
IMAC 24inch
2.8GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO
4GB 800MHZ DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
ATI RADEON HD 2600 PRO W/256MB
320GB SERIAL ATA DRIVE
---

I love it :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, on Windows I've always used Easy CD-DA extractor to convert mp3's, but I can't find anything similar on Mac.

The reason I want software like this is to convert bit rates to make mp3 files smaller - for example 192kbps to 128kbps.

Is there anything like this available for Mac? Preferably free...but willing to pay.

Thanks in advance,
Gareth

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Just do it in iTunes. Load your high bitrate files in, set the Import Preferences to MP3 128Kbps, select the files you want to convert, right-click, choose Convert to MP3, done.

TEG

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
What about Easy CD-DA Converter - converting .wma or any other audio file to mp3, wav etc?

I used to have Easy CD-Da Extracter on Windows which as well included Ripper, Converter etc.

What Mac program would be equivalent to that?

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
The problem with Switch is that under Snow Leopard it requires you to install Rosetta to encode certain files, including mp3's. It's annoying and completely useless for me as I want to keep all old PPC binaries off my system cuzz it causes nothing but troubles for me.

Any idea about other mp3 to mp3 encoders? I know xact - amazing but it doesn't convert mp3 to mp3.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Easywma costs $10 and works great. As for mp3's just use iTunes as above.

rc7990

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2011
For me Switch or Max doesn't make the grade

I've tried Switch which works quite well but only uses a single core. I've used Max which I've determined to be unstable, at least for my system, when trying to batch process 12,000+ flac files to mp3. I'm also new to Mac and enjoy it greatly so far... I'm looking for an audio converter (free or not) that will (1) convert from most formats like flac, ape, wma, etc to mp3, flac, etc (2) work on batch mode containing 15,000 plus files (3) use a variable number of core processors, I have 4 cores and (4) is stable and is actively supported. Thanks in advance for any help.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've tried Switch which works quite well but only uses a single core. I've used Max which I've determined to be unstable, at least for my system, when trying to batch process 12,000+ flac files to mp3.
Have you tried the app I just mentioned?

sirozzy

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
@home
I was using Easy CDDA Extractor on Windows before and i thing its great software if you think about converting different formats. But as far as i know for simple ripping CD iTunes is just perfect i must say. Love it for simplicity of importing CD's.

Just importing 12CD's AudioBook and it works just fine :)