What is a good note taking app?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by iposh23, Sep 13, 2010.

1. iposh23 macrumors newbie

I recently bought an ipad and a keyboard dock to take notes in class and was wondering what is a good app for that? Currently, I am looking at coursenotes, docstogo, and office hd. Which one should I buy? Are their any other note taking/word processing apps besides those?

2. enrvuk macrumors member

Depends whether you need formatting or not.

Evernote is very good if you need to move the info between devices, e.g. Laptop.

3. BaronStein macrumors regular

Sundry notes is quite useful. I can also recommend Evernote for easy syncing between number of devices.

4. JulianL macrumors 65816

Formatting is Evernote's (EN) huge weakness. I've been playing with EN on my PC for about a year now, and on my iPad for about 5 months, and I really want to like it but it has significant issues.

For creating notes on the iPad it doesn't support any rich text formatting. If you just want to create raw text notes then it works OK but if you do sync your notes to a PC or laptop then be really careful if you ever edit them on the laptop/PC. Do not ever touch the font size controls, and if you paste text in from anywhere else then be very careful to always paste without formatting rather than the default paste operation. Making a mistake with either of these items can result in you getting notes that look a complete mess when synced back to the iPad, sometimes randomly jumping between different font sizes or all in a font that is so tiny as to be unreadable on the iPad without zooming which then breaks the flow formatting.

All in all it's a mess trying to format notes in EN that are readable on both a PC/laptop and an iPad.

- Julian

5. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Get soundNote. Lets you record the lecture as well as go into pencil mode to draw diagrams. Exporting PDF and audio through email also supported.

6. enrvuk macrumors member

Almost enough to make want to be a student again :) Mind you, wouldn't have helped the fact that I rarely turned up!

7. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Heh.

I'd use Evernote if it had a practical UI and a drawing mode. SoundNote with sync features would be perfection.

8. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

FYI - Noterize also allows you to record sound as you type/draw. Another option to consider.

9. vanduse1 macrumors newbie

I have been using Note Taker HD. I really like their edit 2 mode. I have been taking class notes for the past month using it. I then email the notes I take to evernote for cloud storage.

10. Crisco macrumors newbie

evernote

i really like evernote but am havng trouble getting it to work on my pc. i have windows 7. has it worked for anyone else on windows 7?

11. JulianL macrumors 65816

I'm running version 3.5 on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit without any issues (apart from the horrible font issues already mentioned, but they only show themselves when viewing on the iPad).

Evernote have a good support forum(http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/index.php); you should get help there to get it working on Windows 7.

- Julian