What is a good optical drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by c073186, Sep 27, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I have an Early '08 mac pro with the standard SuperDrive in it and it cannot even write CD Text when I burn a CD in iTunes (or any other application, for that matter). This gets kind of annoying when I want to make a CD for a friend but then when put into the other computer, it displays only Track 01, Track 02... etc. So can someone recommend me a good CD/DVD burner that can perform this task?

Thanks.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Look for Lightscribe DVD burners. Here's a list of what newegg carries. Most any should be fine. Pioneer, LG, Lite ON, HP, or Samsung should do quite well. No experience with Optiarc or ASUS brands though. :eek:

You would need to decide if you want to use the IDE interface or SATA. To use SATA, you would need to use an ODD port (2 extra SATA ports on the logic board), or an IDE to SATA adapter. If you want to be able to use this drive under windows, IDE would work with a simple physical installation. For a SATA model, you would also need to install the AHCI drivers to make the ODD ports visible to windows. :)

Hope this helps. :D

3. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

seems more like a meta-tag issue with the tracks than it does with the burner itself.

4. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry I am a complete noob... so what format of drive do I want to buy so that I can just install it as is in the Mac Pro? Without adapters, etc.

5. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

But it does this no matter what the songs are. Although... the song titles do show up on my own computer... just not anyone else's. Why would that be?

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Right, I don't think CD-text is a feature of any CD/DVD burner. I think your problem lies in how the disc is being burned or in the software on the other computer being used to read it.

Your own computer is probably automatically grabbing the CD track names from the CDDB, and iTunes remembers CDs when you put them in later even if you're not connected to the internet (at least I think so).

If you do want to know a good optical drive, though, get any Superdrive model from Pioneer. Best damn drives I've ever used.

7. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So how might I go about trying to get my burner to actually burn CD text that can be read on other computers?

8. rtrt, Sep 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  9. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

But I have it checked in iTunes and still... it does not do it.

10. rtrt, Sep 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011