What is a good program for home publishing projects?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sbamom, Nov 1, 2008.

1. sbamom macrumors newbie

I'm a new mac user trying to figure out what a good program is to use for home publishing projects. I want to make invitations, calendars, signs, etc... that are not necessarily photo based.

I used to use Microsoft Home Publishing and would like a similar program for mac.

Thanks!!

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

have you tried Pages?

if it's not on your Mac already, then there should be a trial on your OS X install discs. You can download a trial as well - http://www.apple.com/iwork/trial/

3. sbamom thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the idea, but I thought that Pages was more of a word processing software. I'm really looking for a creative software with lots of picture, background and border options for projects instead of documents.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

4. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

5. sbamom thread starter macrumors newbie

I did check out Pages and it is much more than just word processing. However, it is still lacking in graphics! The programs for home publishing available for Windows come with hundreds upon hundreds of graphics (clipart, backgrounds, borders, etc...)

Unless I'm missing something, there are great projects in Pages, but you need to supply your own clipart. It looks very easy to add....but you have to come up with it yourself. Is this right?

Thanks!

6. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

7. singsa macrumors newbie

Same boat

I, too, am in the same boat. New to the Mac and trying to create my annual newsletter. Can't find the ton of free clip-art, borders, etc. One of the links provided comes up with many pop-ups and not much useble art. But, what do you want for "free"? If you find anything, I would be interested... I'll keep searching - or rather - my boyfriend will since he has more experience with Mac!

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

I don't have the MS Home Publishing, so I'm guessing here.....

But, if you copied the directory(s) with the images from MS HP (above) into a sub-folder in the "Pictures" folder on the Mac, then the media browser in Pages should be able to find the images. That should take care of the clip art. I don't know enough about borders.

On the Apple online website, there is a section for Support. Go there, and then navigate to the iWork and then the Pages section. Do a search for "clip art" and "borders" and see what pops up. They are the experts there. Do the search first, then ask.... otherwise you will hear about it. :)

I use Pages for all my graphic design stuff. Ads, rack cards, etc. Its pretty powerful.... but I do use my own images and I don't use fancy borders much.

9. Jason Edwards macrumors regular

Have you looked at PrintShop for the Mac ? I haven't used it so I cant comment on it, but it looks like it may fit the bill for what you are looking for.

http://www.mackiev.com/print_shop.html

Jason