What is a good program to convert DVD's for storage on my Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by corbin_a2, Nov 11, 2011.

1. corbin_a2 macrumors regular

I've done some searching, and would love some personal input from fellow Mac users.

What I want to do is convert my DVD collection to content that I can play on my Apple TV and store on my Mac. What is my best option? Is there any freeware that dose this well?

Any input would be welcomed!

Thanks!

2. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Handbrake is my favorite. Do some mroogle searches and you'll find plenty of support!

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No question, Handbrake is the solution for this

4. jackrv macrumors 6502

Handbrake, as above, but make sure you have VLC installed (also free). This lets you rip copy protected DVDs. And MakeMKV if you decide to rip Blurays.

5. corbin_a2 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you use the two together? Or dose Handbrake just need VLC installed?

6. tug macrumors 6502

I've done this also, i used ripit.
    if i were you i wouldn't store all your dvd library on your mac, it will take up a mass of space on your hdd.

i store mine, 68gb on an ext. hd and just drag a film or album to iTunes to watch/listen on atv then delete them afterwards.

7. micp2912 macrumors newbie

I would stay away from handbrake in my opinion it is not for a beginner. Actually its a pain in the a%$#! Ive tryed it like 10 different times with mac and windows and ive never been able to copy 1 dvd correctly. You will spend most of your time on google trying to fix the problems.
    My last attempt was yesterday, everything was in order as i clicked the button to convert it, then i go to play it back and I have these colored blocks all over the screen no picture at all, with really choppy sound. I tried a few different presents with no luck. I even clicked on the live preview button before but that likes to freeze up alot.
    Im not gunna say it is the best but I had great success with RIPIT yesterday with my 10 free trys. It is way more simple than Handbrake. No settings to press, just insert dvd and click rip or (compress/rip and send to ITUNES) thats it. I think I may just pay the $24 to get the job done.
    The only problem I have with RIPIT is that I use a Mac Mini and share the optical drive with my other IMAC. The RIPIT on my Mac Mini does not sense when there is a DVD in the IMAC so you cant start the rip process. So I
    guess I will have to convert on IMAC and then transfer with the SHARED NETWORK.