What is a good touch typing speed

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macgrl, Jul 17, 2008.

1. macgrl macrumors 65816

Hi, I was wondering what is a good touch typing speed? I would like to use my mbp to take notes in class this coming year and was wanting to know what people think is a good speed. I want to be able to keep up and take notes faster than I can write. What speed do most people that use their macs in class type at? Thanks

2. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Average handwriting speed is between 20 and 30 WPM depending on the material and how it's presented, so anything faster than that would be sufficient.

3. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

haha thought the OP meant (iPod) touch typing speed when I saw thread name:D

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think 70-90 WPM is considered good for amateurs like us. :p I type right around 80. I think people who are paid for just typing are expected to do more like 120-140 WPM.

But usually for typing in class, touch typing speed isn't the limiting factor. Touch typing is loud. I wouldn't type 80WPM in class -- it would make way too much racket....

5. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Depends on your keyboard and how loud you're willing to be - if you don't mind causing a racket, you can get your speed way way up.

6. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

50 WPM with high degree of accuracy is considered 'good'.

though I find I type much faster when taking notes or writing essays than I do on typing exams, and my accuracy is higher.