What is....a Jail Break?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by AreYouAMac, Feb 2, 2008.

1. AreYouAMac macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Sorry for such a dumb newbie question but.. what exactly is a jail break for the ipod touch, and what is it for?

Thanks...

...and I feel very embarrassed for asking that question....

2. xinfinity macrumors newbie

No offense, but if you don't know the answer to that question you need to search the forum or google it. ;)

3. EtienneP macrumors member

Wow, the two posters above me were incredibly helpful. Jailbreaking your iPod Touch basically means that you gain read/write access to the Touch. It will allow you to install 3rd-party applications and customize your iPod Touch much more than Apple initially allows you too. It voids your warranty but you can always restore and I'm pretty sure it's damn near untraceable.

4. dagored macrumors 65816

Like EtienneP saidl.

Apple has locked it up. When you hack it, it is no longer Locked -UP. You broke it out of jail. You are free to to with it as you please and are not subject to Apples whims.

You bought it, why should some one else tell you what to do with it. I bought a new refrigerator. Whirlpool does not tell me what I can put in it.

5. AreYouAMac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks EtienneP & dagored,
    So I figure that... the applications that Apple are selling for the iPod touch update are 3rd party applications..that you can get for free IF you unlock the iPod? And if they aren't 3rd party programs... there are other apps just like them?

That's pretty cool. Are there programs that sort of let me use the screen as a multi-touch touchpad for a macbook?

Also, one more question... 8gb or 16gb? How big are the 3rd party apps? I'm figuring that if I do add some 3rd party apps, the total size of them would not exceed 100 mb right?

Thank you.

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

maybe its because it has been discussed countless times? seriously a little effort on the op's part would answer all of his questions and more

do a search

8. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

With Jailbreak, you could watch movies on Youtube right? - (Basically use flash player right?)

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you can use youtube without jailbreak.... there is a youtube app

10. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

Have you seen my question about the Youtube thingy, anyway, I don't know much about the Touch, but I'll be getting a second hand one soon :), as soon as I've found a good deal...

11. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

3rd party means "not from Apple"

Also, get 16 GB, you will never regret it.

12. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

Yep, Apple wouldn't sell 3rd party stuff, think about it AreYouAMac, and yes again, 16 GB is awesome, I've checked it out, but haven't exactly got one yet, also the Iphone is really the same as the Touch, you can just call, but the tax is really high, so better off with the Touch which is thinner...;)