What is a Kernel panic?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zepharus, Aug 15, 2007.

1. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Im new to macs and have seen a few references. Thanks in advance?

the dork

2. triddent222 macrumors regular

akin to the Blue Screen of Death. AKA: severe and unexpected error that causes your computer to freeze. Often caused by hardware errors and or drivers conflicts etc. If youre an experience Windows Users you should know what a BSOD is, right?.

img:
    [​IMG]

also, try using google, its a great tool, you know?

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

a Kernal Panic is similar to a BSOD.

many, many different things can cause one, but it seems to be more likely a hardware issue. i have a known problem with my mouse and Kernal Panics due to Logitech's cappy Control Center software.

4. mactanuki macrumors newbie

It's really a software problem. Control Center installs the third party Application Enhancer framework. Dump Control Center, Google for instructions on removing Application Enhancer and watch your stability/speed issues vanish. Steermouse is a very decent replacement, although it's not free.

5. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Agreed. All KPs I have seen are caused by driver issues. Apple has had enough time to hammer their drivers into a very mature state, so the odds of getting a KP from a clean OS install are rare. My last two KPs were from a driver I was attempting to write... oops.

Belkin makes stable drivers, but rarely updates. Logitech has never been very high on my list of companies with good Mac drivers/software. Scanners, printers, and hard drives that require drivers make me very afraid (figuratively speaking).

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace