What is a PowerMac G5 Quad-core worth these days?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Nov 10, 2014.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Hey everyone,

so I see the PowerMac G5 Quad-core model here and there, mostly on Craigslist and eBay, and they seem to demand pretty high prices. I see them go for as much as $300, which really isn't worth-it.

However, I did find a Quad-core model on my local Craigslist for $175. I even thought that was too expensive, so I offered $100 (laying it low there), and the seller said "$140".

This is a Quad-core PowerMac G5 with 4GB of RAM and a 250GB HD; just the unit itself.

So how much is this thing really worth? I want to pay $100, but is $140 the more realistic price at which someone would sell it? It looks to be in pretty fair condition and is working. KEEP IN MIND: Things in my area are generally pricey.

2. headsh0t95 macrumors regular

I'd say that it is worth $140. The RAM and the HDD are already fairly pricey to buy, and keep in mind that this mahcine cost more than $3000 back in 2005.

3. reco2011 macrumors 6502a

It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Given the asking prices are in the hundreds of dollars I'd say $140 seems fair. It's a "unique" system in there are not many of them out there so prices are going to be higher than the other PowerMac G5 models. If $100 is reasonable to you then I don't see an additional $40 as being a show stopper. If I were in the market for one I'd pay $140 for it. Keeping in mind people are asking that for dual processor systems.

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'd buy a Quad for $140(locally). They're not super hard to find, but that's a more than fair price from what I've seen of what they generally sell for.

5. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Yeah, I think I will get it if the warehouse I bought my DP 2.0Ghz model from still doesn't have any quads. The reason I hesitated is because the place where I got my DP G5 gets machines in all the time, and they sell their DP for $40 and their quads for $60.

6. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

You have got to realise that on this side of the atlantic, they sell for at least €300! Not $. but €!

Europeans must pay insane prices for any early 2000's ear Macs :(

If I waited to get a Quad for $140 in Ireland I'd be waiting quite some time...

7. weckart macrumors 68040

Prices seem to be rising lately on all G5s except from individual sellers with tatty units. The bulk seller I bought my DC G5 from in spring is now asking double what I paid. Stuff seems to sell quickly, whereas the 20 or so units I bought mine from were listed a few times before they finally went.

I blame Macrumors. We need a 'I hate G5' thread pronto.

8. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Exactly! Who would ever want these useless 10 year old machines unsupported processing architecture. I mean the PM G5 and iMac G4 are so ugly! Yuck! Give me a majestically beautiful pentium Dell any day.

And TAM? More like "Twentieth Anniversary of Failure".

Actually, on that note I also now feel that every Apple product ever made was awful, with the golden exceptions of the Hockey Puck Mouse, MobileMe and Ping.

9. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Damn, I just forgot about Ping. Now I gotta remember it all over again.

10. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

Beige is still where it's at! ;) I'm going to spray paint my G5 BEIGE because it's so cool.

(yeah I know they aren't beige anymore)

11. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I just love the grey, bland, plastic bezels that encompass the forefronts of those beautiful Pentium 4-era Dell desktops. Whenever I sit down to use mine, I gently stroke its coarse face, and play with the curled edges of the Windows XP and Pentium 4 stickers. At night I caress my beloved Pentium 4 into a deep hibernation, and tuck-in its peripherals into the keyboard drawer. Pentium 4s are love... Pentium 4s are LIFE.

----------

There is another post for a G5 that is said to be high-end. I asked the seller for the specs, and they said they would look and see tomorrow. If this one ends up being a quad-core model, I am gonna get it instead of the $140 one, as it's only $60!

----------

Don't forget about Mobile Me. The most pain we have experienced with Apple was buying four iMac G5s when they first came out.

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would hate to see what happens to a Dell with a Core 2 Duo or Pentium Dual Core then... ;)

13. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

OH don't even get me started! :eek:

xD That was a pretty sick joke of mine, but hilarious nonetheless. In actuality, I almost feel sick to my stomach when I see an early-mid 2000s Windows PC. They are designed in the most distasteful ways... Ugh. Admittedly, many of the current Windows PCs today look pretty nice. (although in cheap ways, such as overuse of glossy plastics and such)

14. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

The Quads are fast and quiet. I have two and use one as a server. If you can make do with 10.5.8 for your purposes, they don't feel much different than my 2010 iMac and 2011 MacBook Pros for speed. In fact they feel faster than the iMac and cMBP-13. At $140, it's a bargain.

>

15. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Yeah, I am still waiting on another person who has a G5 for $60. They said it's a "high-end" model, but did not list the specs. I asked and they said they'd get back to me about it... I am hoping it's a quad. If they don't get back to me, I'm probably gonna get the $140 one. In terms of how quiet the Quad G5 is, do the fans ever rev up for a brief period of time and then go back down? My DP 2.0Ghz G5 does that. Most of the time it's quiet, but otherwise it can get sorta loud.

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Have you ever changed the thermal paste in the DP 2.0 as well as recalibrated the fans?