What is a Pre-Sale/Pre-Order?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macmaccy, Sep 26, 2014.

1. macmaccy macrumors member

Maybe my thinking is wrong? I always thought the purpose of a Pre-sale was so that I have an opportunity to buy/reserve an item before its official release. This will allow to me to enjoy this new item without worry of it's availability when it is released.

I, like many of you, volunteered to take part of the iPhone 6 pre-sale offered by ATT. I stayed awake and ordered just like many of you. Many of my friends and families slept comfortably that night and are now proud owners of the new iPhone 6. I still await my pre-sale/pre-ordered iPhone even though my card was charged (pre-authorized) and I signed various agreements for my new iPhone.

I received an email stating my new iPhone has been reserved for me and that orders are processed in a first come first served basis. So I must ask, if I purchased my iPhone 2 weeks ago and somebody walks into an ATT store and buys an iPhone, how could my iPhone be reserved? How can this be first come first served? (kinda reminds me of that Seinfeld episode!!)

How can ATT reserve an iPhone they themselves do not possess? How can ATT receive iPhones and not fulfill its promise to me of reserving an iPhone? Why is my reserved iPhone going to an ATT store when I committed to the purchase before the customer in a store? Do I not have a contract with ATT for that purchase/reservation?

Im not a lawyer but do we not have laws about false and misleading advertising? Does my agreement with ATT come with certain considerations from both parties; I pay in advance and agree to terms of the purchase agreement, while ATT reserves an iPhone for me and agrees to fullfill pre-sale orders on a first come first served basis?

Im sure some of you are much more knowledgable about contract law, but is it not based on consideration? Contracts are based on adequate consideration from all parties? How can I complete my contractual considerations but ATT does not? I paid/signed and they still commit inventory to others without consideration of my reservation?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

For suckers who wants to be the King-of-the-Block for what, a week? but they don't even guarantee you first shipment.