Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I want to make a print server with an old Windows XP machine because the printer in my office is no longer compatible with Lion. How do I make one? Any tips?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
A print server probably won't do you any good because your Mac will still need drivers to talk to the printer, and I'm guessing that's the reason why it won't work in Lion. But if you really want to do it, set it up in XP and share the printer out on the network from the printer settings.

A print server is really just a pass-through, converting it from USB that only one computer can print to, to networked, that many computers can print to. Using one doesn't change requirements for good, working drivers.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Lion can use generic postscript printing without specific drivers as long as it recognizes the printer.

Printers that support postscript are a rare breed in the low-end segment. His printer is most probably either a PCL printer or a GDI printer.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Printers that support postscript are a rare breed in the low-end segment. His printer is most probably either a PCL printer or a GDI printer.

It's a high end Okidata C5200n color laser that's plugged into the network, its just that lion won't recognize the driver. I really need it because it's the only way to give my spreadsheets and charts the joy of color.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It's a high end Okidata C5200n color laser that's plugged into the network, its just that lion won't recognize the driver. I really need it because it's the only way to give my spreadsheets and charts the joy of color.

it does recognize the printer on the network, but doesn't work quiet right

Then you have no choice but to follow the guide I posted earlier and use Ghostscript on Windows to convert the print output.

That or change printers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.