What is a taptic engine?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Italianblend, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

can someone explain to me what a taptic engine is and how it's relevant to the 6S? Thanks.

2. MattXDA macrumors 6502

MattXDA

It's the new vibration motor (I think it replaces the other one).
    It's faster and more precise as it can reach peak output after one oscillation, rather than 10.

3. invisibleshoes macrumors regular

Hope this means we can enable keyboard-tap vibrations. It's the only thing I miss from Samsung.

4. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

To put it simply, when using 3d touch the screen will vibrate when you force touch the screen.

5. dugbug, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

The taptic engine is for haptic feedback. The motor is specifically designed to vibrate left/right with no ramp-up and for certain distance and duration. Your brain will be convinced there was motion in the up/down direction. This is NOT just running a phone vibrator as someone taps something.

This means it will feel like you pressed a real button. It's an amazing technology that has been around in research but never made it into a product (like multitouch was). You could even feel textures as you drag your finger across a picture (if apple wanted to)

They could do real keys but it would change the ui rules. Let's see how good the implementation is in the phone but I'm very excited about it.

Edit: it will surely be the new iPhone vibrator they won't put two motors in. This could really change the way it feels, maybe even be dead silent. Be interesting to see when mine arrives because I always keep mine on silent