What is Airport Express? And for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amitdoc2b, Mar 17, 2008.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Hi.

I'm a new Apple customer and recently purchased a MBP thats arriving this week. I wanted to know what exactly Airport Extreme is, and if/how it can be useful to me considering I already have wireless internet and wireless internet router in my apartment?

Thanks!

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Realistically? It's of no value. The device is as exactly what it's description is. You seem to already have that so why even bother looking into it.

The only 'extra' thing it adds is the iTunes streaming music and/or the wireless print server (not knowing your specific router model if it has this capability already).

Beyond those 2 things it's probably not for you.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Airport Extreme is the 802.11a/b/g/n networking from Apple. You must have it to access a wireless network, but thankfully, it is built into most systems. The Airport Express and AirPort Extreme Base Station are devices that convert a wired Network to a Wireless Network.

Since you already have a router, you don't need an AirPort Express or an AirPort Extreme Base Station, just use the card that is built into your MBP to connect to your router and enjoy.

TEG

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Because he doesn't know what it is. This comment kinda makes you look bad.
    Either way, the Airport Express can also be used to extend the range of your existing wireless network, ontop of its ability to stream iTunes music to a remote stereo and print to remote printer. Its a pretty good device I say.

5. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

some routers have problems with the leopard OS.
    especially those that are 3-5 yrs old, considering their still working!

so for first time " wireless" customers, meaning it will be your first time to set up your wireless network at home, this is for you!

aside from that, i see no advantage than your regular netgear or d-link or the other newer generation routers

6. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

If you already have a wireless network setup at your place that covers everywhere you need it to, the only advantage that Airport Express would afford you is wireless printing and streaming of iTunes to remote speakers. That being said, AE can also be used as a standalone router (where the ethernet plugs into it), or to add coverage to a remote area (where is acts as a relay). I have an AE because when I was in my dorm room, I plugged my ethernet, printer, and speakers into the AE, which was under my desk. This allowed me to print/listen to music/surf the web with no wires, whether on my desk or in my bed. I think it is a great little device, but if you need high fidelity routing, get an extreme base station, or, being as you have a MBP, get a time capsule which would add wireless time machine :)

7. DocSmitty macrumors regular

I'm actually tempted to give my current Wireless N router to my mom, so when my sister is in town staying with her there's wireless at her house. Ulterior motive: Buying an Airport Extreme... I have a high-end audio system and the idea of streaming wirelessly is looking better and better. My printer has built-in N support, so I don't need the print serve feature. But darn it would be nice not to have to head over to my desktop to get itunes over my sound system...

First laptop so I didn't really think ahead or I would have purchased the airport to begin with.

8. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info guys. I was thinking of buying a new printer. So if I buy a new printer, I can use this airport express to print wirelessly? Or do I not need airport express to print wirelessly in a new printer?

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

You can get use the AE as a wireless print server. It's comparably priced to similar devices. Linksys/Dlink ones you can on avg find for the same $99 price tag. AE has those extra features. From what I read you can use it as a wireless print in 'client mode' and still use it with your existing wireless system.

If your looking for a new printer and get one WITH wireless built in you won't need AE or any other wireless printing adapter. My wife has a couple customers that have printers with wi-fi built in and they love it.

10. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

To wirelessly print to any printer, you will need to plug it in to a wireless router, such as the Airport Express, Airport Extreme, or Time Capsule. Check your current router to see if it has a USB port. If it does, plug in your printer and voila, you can print to it.

11. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

You don't need a new router. You can get a wireless print server. Belkin, Linksys, DLink, Netgear, and even Apples Airport Extreme qualifies as choices for under ~120 bucks.

True, if your router DOES support then you need nothing new. If it doesn't you'll as I said, either need a wireless print server (several above options are just USB devices with wi-fi built in) or buy a printer with wi-fi built in then again nothing else needed. All of which will work with your current system. The more expensive router would be to buy a new router which isn't needed.

12. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your help again. So if I use an HP printer that doesn't have any wireless or ethernet printing built into it, I can plug its USB in airport express and it will still print? And if I am in a hotel and hook the ethernet cord to my airport express, I can name my airport express as some network name of my choice and select it for using in the hotel? And does it require a password?

13. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

I just said to check the router that they have. Nowhere in there did I say a new one is rquired.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Airport Extreme is Apple's N-router. It does not allow a NAS drive. It only acts as a wireless router with 4-port Gigabit. It also allows you to connect an external hard drive. Finally if you can use it to make your printer wireless if it's plugged into the USB port.

I know you didn't ask about this, but the Time Capsule is everything the Airport Extreme does except but it has built in internal storage (500GB and 1TB) and you can back up with Time Machine to this.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Not all routers will USB ports will allow you to use this function for printers. Also the Time Capsule and Airport Extreme are new which means when you connect a printer to it should work with more functions. For the Airport Express, you option might be limited.

Also for hotels, some hotels require you to pay and whatnot and then there is a page that pops up that asks you to agree to their TOS. These hotels, you probably can't hook up a router and expect it to work.

As for a password, I don't know what you mean. If you mean if you need a password to use the hotel internet, only the hotel knows. If you mean do you need wireless security; well it's your choice whether or not enable it, but I would so non-authorized people don't use it and muck up your connection speeds.

16. DocSmitty macrumors regular

EDIT: Nevermind :)

Audio out only on the Airport Express? Weak :(