What is Airport Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chain752, Nov 27, 2010.

1. chain752 macrumors newbie

Hi, I was looking at the airport express today on Apple's website and was wondering what it does. Does it use the wifi you already have and extend it, or does it provide a new wifi acres point? Also how would you connect it to speakers for use with airplay? Any other information about it is greatly appreciated.:)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. chain752 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response. And I may just be missing something when I read it but I'm still not sure if it extends your wifi or creates it's own.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. chain752 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. name99 macrumors 6502

Be aware, however, that if you want to use it for the speaker functionality, it's very unsatisfactory. Your music IS sent to the remote speakers, that is true, and sounds just fine. What is problematic is that there is a substantial lag between any operations you do in iTunes (play, pause, volume change) and when the speakers respond. I found the lag bad enough that I found the product unusable and returned it, and as far as I know Apple have done precisely nothing since I tried it (about a year ago) to improve things.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not true. There's something wrong with your setup. I have never had such a problem and I use iTunes constantly.

8. hawkeye9935 macrumors newbie

I have also never had any lag between iTunes and the remote speakers. Even when I use Remote on my iPhone results are nearly instantaneous.

9. Sir Lorad macrumors member

I never experienced problems or lag using itunes with remote speakers.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Suggest that you may have had something wrong with your setup and/or you may have had a bad AE device.

Count me in as well. I find that it works very well and have had no issues.