What is an Apple ID?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by doubledee, Apr 22, 2013.

1. doubledee macrumors 6502

doubledee

What is an Apple ID?

Do I have one?

If so, when and where did I get it?

Is it my "Username"?

I saw a website online that says it would give your your "Apple ID" if you start answering all of these sensitive stuff, and I was like, "No way!!"

Now I'm nervous... :(

Debbie

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

3. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

Flash back to the past...

It seems to me that I fought with Apple Corporate for weeks to *delete* my Apple ID because I never had a reason for one.

I searched and can't find one, but there could still be one out there... :(

So, if I did indeed get it deleted by Apple - and if memory serves me right, that is what happened - then do I just have an AppleID = NULL in their system???

Or do they secretly assign you something else?

Debbie

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

The only place you can get an AppleID is from Apple. And yes, that might require "sensitive" information like who you are and where you live. If you want to buy stuff from the Mac Store, then you'll need to give them credit card details.

I don't know whether Apple now creates an AppleID for you when you buy a Mac. Perhaps that is the "fighting" that you had to do.

Without an AppleID, you can't update your software, buy apps from the Mac App Store, use the iCloud syncing services, and many other things. So you do have a reason to have one.

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

If you have ever bought any software from Apple directly, you were assigned an Apple ID - software from the app store, or anything through iTunes. It is how the Apple servers keep track of who is entitled to download stuff, to reinstall software that comes on a system, etc. If you use iCloud you have an Apple ID.

Yes it's like a Username, though it is usually also an email address.

If you have not had anything shipped to you from Apple, then the info attached to your Apple ID can be pretty anonymous, depending on how accurate your answers were during the registration process. It's amazing how many profiles I have that list me as living on Rodent Avenue in Banff, AB... for example.

In this first case, Apple knows a great deal about the purchasing history of the person assigned this ID... but may not be able to attach that history to you specifically.

If you have registered your computer with Apple (I think this is necessary to get updates) then you have an Apple ID. What personal information is attached is of course dependent on how accurate you were with your answers.

If you have ever had stuff shipped to you, or registered a credit card to the ID then then Apple has a more complete picture since they also have an address, and in the case of the credit card registration, an accurate name. And very likely they have shared in some capacity this info with a credit agency and or credit card company, etc.

If you have every had an AppleCare warranty repair - then it is likely that there is a note on your Apple ID.

I have several Apple IDs - not on purpose. But in hind-sight it does mean that Apple has an incomplete picture of me. Suits me.

----

There are nonsensical addresses and phone numbers that will pass most automated address and phone number verification checks. These are the ones that could actually exist - but are reserved for other uses.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

You should be. Apple are tracking your every move. Best to live off the grid. Thats what my mum, Sarah always said anyhow!

'if you want to live, don't get an apple id'

7. benwiggy macrumors 68020

John? John Connor? Is that you?

8. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Dam you made me! Time to move on again!