Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2021
This is the first android device I've used that I'm legitimately impressed with. Build quality is pretty damn good. Screen is amazing. More importantly, the AI features simply work brilliantly. I'm blown away and I've been a samsung phone hater for years and years.

Now, I know those will respond with, "Apple doesn't have to do anything since Samsung sells a tiny percentage of the iphone", or, "Apple only does small, incremental changes." But, the iphone 15 and more importantly, IOS 17 feel positively ancient compared with the S24 Ultra. Do we think Apple will see this as a legitimate threat and actually deliver real evolutionary change in IOS 18?

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
Competition's good. It forces improvements.

So let us hope that Android brands do not shutdown due to competition.

In 2021, LG announced that it would exit its smartphone business. LG was the third-largest player in the North American smartphone market behind market leader Apple and runner-up Samsung.

Today 3rd place is Motorola.

Last edited:

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2021
Competition's good. It forces improvements.

So let us hope that Android brands do not shutdown due to competition.
Agreed. I want to see a better Apple product. But, I’ve grown disillusioned over the past 2 years. The OS is stagnant and limiting, yet major bugs still persist. The hardware is generally pretty good, but Apple battery life doesn’t maintain the same competitive edge it once did. Really, the only thing that keeps me is that my kids have Apple devices and it would be a pain to be the odd man out with Android. But if that’s the only reason to stay, I find that embarrassing for a company the size of Apple.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
The Samsung S24 Ultra does indeed have great hardware. The only thing crippling this phone, in my opinion, is the operating system. Android is a dumpster fire controlled by a company that cant make up its mind (ever seen the Google graveyard?). What Samsung needs to do is create a real iOS competitor.

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2021
The Samsung S24 Ultra does indeed have great hardware. The only thing crippling this phone, in my opinion, is the operating system. Android is a dumpster fire controlled by a company that cant make up its mind (ever seen the Google graveyard?). What Samsung needs to do is create a real iOS competitor.
Actually I disagree. I find the software to be the Samsung’s strongest suit. Apple hardware is fine but iOS and IpadOS are just awful these days. A terrible combination of buggy and not innovative. Android has come a long way. The S24 Ultra I saw was extremely smooth and most importantly, filled with features that would make my daily life easier. Apple seems focused on adding the latest emoji and calling it a day.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
@Hkfan45 Who is Apple selling the iPhone to? You? Others like you? Active on MacRumors, involved with technology, able to tell the difference between iOS and Android, etc.

Or is Apple selling to some other larger demographic?

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2021
If AI is the only real qualification here, then I don't want anything to do with it.
Not at all. Plenty of other features. But, don't knock AI. The summary feature works pretty fantastic. Not sure why Apple hasn't implemented that already. The image search is also incredibly useful. It has all these little things that with IOS takes you like 10 steps at best, and at worst, is impossible. I can't even directly upload a video in the photos app on my iphone to Youtube. How silly is that?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I've used both and IMO both phones are on par with each other hardware wise. iOS is one thing and android is another, you decide which you prefer. I find it curious that people buy an Apple product and know exactly what iOS offers and then turn around and say it needs to be more like Android. It isn't Android and Apple wants it that way. I personally don't like the Android UI and that's why I won't buy an S24 Ultra. If it ran iOS it would be a different story..

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2021
I've used both and IMO both phones are on par with each other hardware wise. iOS is one thing and android is another, you decide which you prefer. I find it curious that people buy an Apple product and know exactly what iOS offers and then turn around and say it needs to be more like Android. It isn't Android and Apple wants it that way. I personally don't like the Android UI and that's why I won't buy an S24 Ultra. If it ran iOS it would be a different story..
People seem to be missing the point. Apple, if it cares (clearly it doesn't), could incorporate 90% of the useful features Android offers and still remain IOS. It doesn't because it's lazy, and doesn't feel it needs to because Apple knows people will buy anything they sell at any price, regardless of how little work goes into it.

Last edited by a moderator:

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
I wouldn’t buy it if it ran iOS. Samsung hardware is ugly as sin. Bring back htc or Sony Xperia designs. Or the still awesome lumia

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2021
Andriod has become more polish throughout the years and they keep getting better . Most folks stay with apple because they are deep in the Ecosystem. Apple knows this hence why they keep giving cookie crumbs every iPhone update unfortunately ☹️
^ Someone who is being intellectually honest and gets it. The ecosystem and my family use of devices lock me into ios. I love MacOS and mac hardware but loathe Apple's mobile devices. I must be the only one.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
People seem to be missing the point. Apple, if it cares (clearly it doesn't), could incorporate 90% of the useful features Android offers and still remain IOS. It doesn't because it's lazy, and doesn't feel it needs to because Apple knows people will buy anything they sell at any price, regardless of how little work goes into it.
We prefer iOS as it is now. If I wanted android I’d go buy one of the 100s of amdroid devices.

I like iOS and my iPhone working as it does. I wish people would stop demanding they be similar. Most iOS users don’t want an android clone.

More importantly google ecosystem pales greatly to iOS so just because android can do more its overall ecosystem is inferior. If I wasn’t into apple I’d be In Microsoft ecosystem like I was before.

The only google product I use is google fi and YouTube.

randomando

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2021
^ Someone who is being intellectually honest and gets it. The ecosystem and my family use of devices lock me into ios. I love MacOS and mac hardware but loathe Apple's mobile devices. I must be the only one.

“intellectually honest and gets it” lol. Or they just agree with you. You come in with an opinion and find reasons to bash people who don’t agree. People have different experiences than you. That’s fine. Android UI sucks and that’s enough reason for me.

maxrest

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2021
Intellectually honest lmao? Not everybody cares for every feature- not sure if you know that. A lot of people want a phone that’s straight to the point. The more features that are added, the more complex it gets. I’ve had older people in my family enable random things here and there on their android without knowing how to fix it due to the nature of the OS. They like the iPhone and iOS much better. Not knocking on android at all, it’s just not for everyone and plenty of people are satisfied with iOS. Doesn’t mean they’re not “intellectually honest”.

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
We prefer iOS as it is now. If I wanted android I’d go buy one of the 100s of amdroid devices.

I like iOS and my iPhone working as it does. I wish people would stop demanding they be similar. Most iOS users don’t want an android clone.

More importantly google ecosystem pales greatly to iOS so just because android can do more its overall ecosystem is inferior. If I wasn’t into apple I’d be In Microsoft ecosystem like I was before.

The only google product I use is google fi and YouTube.
And you “own an Samsung Galaxy S22”??

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That's quite a condescending post considering apple sells hundreds of millions of it's flagship devices when it releases in September. However, it is what it is, whether or not you agree that IOS should be the massive hit that it is.

Your own opinions of IOS are quite valid and the point about competition is well taken. However, the universe being what it is, Apple produces a product for what it considers it's target and does it successfully. They don't have to please everyone, it's impossible to please everyone.

I think if you want to see new features in ios I would suggest using the feedback link. If enough people request a certain feature, they just may add it.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Not a fanboy, just being honest about what I want in a device.. My fiancé is an Android diehard and would never even consider using an Apple device.. I respect her choice and she respects mine. There's plenty of room for improvement on both platforms but they will never be considered perfect for everyone. Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.