What Is Apple TV ??

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by SUSU65, Nov 8, 2015.

1. SUSU65 macrumors newbie

SUSU65

Do you have to subscribe to something ?

Is it live TV or just a library of recordings ?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Subscriptions may be required with the AppleTV to access some content.
    That will depend on what you want to view, and where you are.
    You can watch TV programming, or movies, or stream media from your Mac, etc.
    You can watch video that is saved on your Mac, or stream video from a variety of sources on the internet.
    You can find out more, lots more, on Apple's web site.

3. grcar Suspended

grcar

To be honest I could never understand the web site. Apple TV is a piece of hardware you have to buy to be able to spend more money to view something.

4. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

Originally, it was Apple's first way to get things you bought or stored in iTunes (songs, TV shows and movies) to show on your TV, since previously it was only easy to play and watch them on your computer, or on iPods. Since then, it's evolved to be a receiver to function as a wireless second or mirrored screen for iPhones, iPads and Macs. And a number of actual TV networks have begun to make apps to actually transmit full shows (like PBS, HBO, Hulu and Netflix), and most recently, a full App Store opened up for the new device, allowing developers to write any app they think might be appropriate to use with a TV (such as video games).

Some people no longer subscribe to cable because the AppleTV – sometimes combined with subscriptions to Netflix, et cetera, provides all the TV-ish content they want. In the future, all this will probably continue to expand.

5. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

The answers to your first question is Yes and No. There is free content and subscription content. For the second question I say Yes it is live TV and it is also a library of recordings. Now it is also an inexpensive gaming system. As Starfia said, Apple TV is also a portal that allows users of iDevices to play content on their TVs. You almost have to use one to completely understand what they do. It handles many of the functions of a typical Smart TV but the operating system, content library, interface are way superior. (pure Apple goodness) :apple:

6. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Unless you use it to AirPlay local media. It use it to make existing tasks easier, such as replacing a computer connected to a tv just for an existing Netflix sub.

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

I haven't spent any more money on content since I got my Apple TV and I've been viewing a lot of things so your statement is flawed. It's main advantage and use in my mind is being able to stream content you already own or content from subscriptions you already have on other devices to your TV.

8. dojoman macrumors 65816

Not sure if OP was serious with the question or just trolling. Every streaming box required some sort of subscription. Is Netflix free? Is Amazon free?

9. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

It did seem like more than an odd question. I think the Apple website is pretty clear on what the Apple TV is and what it's capable of.

The only aspect I think you glean any different knowledge of from forums (other than the complainers) is the feature set of the apps available on the AppStore. Really I think that's the most differentiating aspect compared to the old Apple TVs. Aside from the Siri remote of course, but that's explained on the website.