What is Apple's response to the iPod Touch's negative screen problems?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ubuntu, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Are they returning them? Fixing them, etc?

EDIT: And how does one find out what week the iPod touch is?

2. manram24 macrumors member

the screens are fine now
    there at about week 41 or 42

3. uburoibob macrumors regular

They fixed it with update 1.1.1. It never was a hardware issue (as i said all along).

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It wasn't a fix so much as a symptom-mask. Mine still had a slight negative black effect even after the patch, as well as the same atrocious viewing angles, and when I exchanged it (due to stuck pixels) for a week 38, there was a definite improvement in both respects.

5. Cache macrumors regular

If a software update "fixes" something, it doesn't necessarily mean that something was a software bug to begin with, it could still have been a hardware issue.

Imo you were wrong, I believe it was in fact a hardware issue. Week 37 vs week 38, with same firmware and a week 38 blew the 37 out of the water. Plus the fact that quite a bit of 38 and later screens were affected by the 1.1.1 update in a negative way.

6. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

This guy is still at it...even though he posted somewhere (right before 1.1.1) that "I returned mine b/c it's a hardware defect." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Others here are correct: it's a software crutch for a hardware error.

Yeah, still waiting for my 2nd replacement. Week 38 w./1.1.1 is definitely better than my Wk 37, but the best viewing angle/clarity still comes when you tilt back-left. Hoping by now it'll be a Week 40+ with no problems.

To the OP: the 4th & 5th digits of the serial # are the production week. Higher is better.

7. uburoibob macrumors regular

sigh... all software is a a crutch for hardware.

I returned mine due to a lack of faith in Apple to deliver a fix by the 14th day of my return policy. Indeed, they released the fix on the 15th day. Missed it by one day. I'd have kept mine. I've seen new ones side by side with software-fixed old ones. No difference. None. Nada. Zip.

I'd think that it might have been a much bigger issue, otherwise. And no, the 1.1.1 update had no adverse affect on my week 38.

But, if you want to believe it was a hardware problem, you are more than welcome to. Perhaps you believe the occupants of the White House right now too...

:rolleyes:

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Glad you know everything about it. You've obviously owned and compared both defective 'fixed' units and new units side by side, examining viewing angles and such. :rolleyes:

Get over yourself.

9. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Pa-lease, the horse has been long gone and buried.

Good screens week 38+ with Macy Gray box.

Bad screen just go take it back.

4th and 5th digits of the S/N is your week number.

Mod: Please lock this thread...

10. uburoibob macrumors regular

I have, yes. And yes, I know pretty much everything about it. Somebody has too. And I try to get over myself, but I keep jumping in circles. Wish I knew why people have to have it be a hardware issue, when it isn't (wasn't).

Yes, mod. Lock this up before the mob come looking for Frankenstein's monster again.

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

E-peen ftw.

There was a hardware issue, partially remedied by a hotfix to the firmware. The screen afterwards still had issues, even if they were partially masked by the fix. The viewing angles were still borked, and the black levels off. That points to hardware.

Of course Apple would rather issue a hotfix than have to replace the defective units. They were counting on most people not to notice that their 'repaired' screens weren't fully so.

Yes, mod, lock this up before uburoi gets another chance to spout his condescending nonsense.

12. jaypee68 macrumors regular

You are so sure huh? I had a week 38 that had bad negative black issues with the screen, and 1.1.1 didn't do a thing to it. After upgrading the screen still looked like total crap. You are dead wrong.

13. jaypee68 macrumors regular

Don't be so quick to say that week 38 was the magic number. I had a week 38 with a bad screen and so did many others. Week 38 wasn't a sure thing.

14. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Was in Apple store in Seattle yesterday and they're selling week 41. Hoping issue is fixed now as I'm still waiting to buy

15. uburoibob macrumors regular

Love the "condescending" part... Coming from you it's a combover...

16. uburoibob macrumors regular

Look. Bottom line - this is SUCH a non-issue now. If you believe you've got a bad one then just take it back. It's really easy. Just be nice. They guy at the Apple store that took mine back told me that when people come in with threats and the whole sky is falling thing, they really run them through the paces - make em see a genius, make em really sing for their supper. If you are nice, pull the guy aside and say "I don't wanna make a big deal about this, but I got one of these and it's a bad one..." they will take better care of you.

In a few minutes, it will be a totally done issue. Go. Buy an iPod touch. iJailbreak it. Put the iPhone apps on it. Take it to the limit. You'll love it. It's a great little thing. Really cool. And if you get one that looks a little harsh, make sure it's running 1.1.1 before you go running it back to the Apple store. They WILL make you try it.