What is Apple's stance on single dead pixels?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by netnothing, Apr 24, 2012.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Curious of what Apple's stance is with the new iPad and a single dead pixel. Only reason I ask is because I keep seeing where Apple is telling people that the green/pink tint or yellow tint is within spec....which to me is BS.

I had to sell my last 32GB for a $100 loss just because Apple refused to swap it because of the green/pink tint.....I was beyond my 14 days.

So I'm back in with a new iPad, within the 14 days...and while my new screen is better, no real tinting or yellowing....it does have either a small dead pixel...or a very small speck under the glass. I'm waiting a few days to see whether I can "stop noticing it"....because I really don't want to keep playing this game.

One tip for people buying a new iPad in the store.....OPEN IT BEFORE YOU LEAVE. I ordered online for store pickup. I asked if I could open before I left. Good thing I did.....I took the new one out and it had a ton of scratches and dings on the back. I never turned it on....just took it to the Apple employee and showed him. His response was most shocking to me....."I assume you want a new one?". Really?!? If I walked out of the store with this one.....you'd claim I did this. So if you buy in the store....open and inspect before you leave.

I know since I'm within my 14 days....I can just return it without saying anything....I was more curious as to whether Apple tells the stores to push back on something like a dead pixel.

Thanks

-Kevin

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

My understanding is they will exchange one time for almost any reason.

3. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Of course within the 14 days....I can return for no reason and buy again correct?

Is the one time exchange within or outside of the 14 days return period?

-Kevin

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

within. and that is my experience only. I was told this by an Apple store manager, but it is not a written policy.

5. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Good to know...thanks. I guess the safest bet is just return it and buy again....don't worry about exchanging.

-Kevin

6. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Yes you can

7. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Yep, in your case as you are within the 14 day return window just return it and buy a new one. This is the easiest thing to do and you will avoid having to deal with the store help desk (I refuse to call it what Apple calls it) at all. I have done this myself as I had a bunch of dust pop up under the screen recently. I took it in yesterday in the box all packed up and said I wanted to return it and get a new one of the same type. Employee asked me if anything was wrong with it and I said yes, it is collecting dust under the screen. He said ok. Made sure it turned on and that I had not broken the thing. Returned it. Called in the back for a new one and rang me up for that one. No issues. I took the new one out of the box there and set it up in the store and checked it out there. All was good and I left very happy. :D

8. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Cool thanks. So for returns you don't have to make a Genius bar appointment?

That would be a relief....the Salem NH genius bar staff are going downhill recently.

-Kevin

9. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

No, just walk in the store with the ipad in the box with all the accessories and your reciept. :apple:

10. Luckybobby macrumors regular

I returned my iPad last Saturday for a dead pixel they said they would replace it but if it happened again they probably wouldn't. They said that they are rare but not something to replace an iPad for. I think it depends on who is helping you there.

11. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

Beenblacklisted

Huge Secret to returns, a way to bypass anything they might say.

If any employee says anything about a return especially as it was in our case , nearly 300p ipad return , we returned like 150 and they said you cant return anymore, i said give it to me and writing, and they , negated theyre statement and i sat there as i returned close to 300 ipad3's .Apple is a ******** company, when mr jobs passed away , the integrity of that company went out the door. It all became about profits, and dividends to shareholders, etc. Im about to get a few shirts printed as iResell/iReseller. Apple wants to cut out middle man, and go directly to end user, dont chew out the consumer who saves up a ******** of money to purchase your High End product, not cool apple. So to recap anytime you are within the return policies, and you have a reason to return your product,even if you are unsatisfied with it, and they give you any ********, tell them give it to me in writing. (They will consult a manager, and they will resolve your issue, in your favor, guaranteed.) Putting something in writing is a form of a public statement, that represents the entire company, And each location has its own team that regards policies on such items/conditions and strictness for returns and exchanges.

12. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Ok, you are lecturing us about how Apple is "all about profits" but you returned 300 iPads that you undoubtedly intended to sell in the secondhand market for a premium is that correct?

13. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

FYI.....I returned the iPad.

I actually ordered a new one for store pickup (switched colors from black to white) Went in....handed the one I wanted to return to the very nice sales associate and said I have a return and store pickup. She did my store pickup first and then the return.

She never asked why I was returning....guess she assumed I wanted the new color.

She was very nice and friendly....reminds me a how every visit to the Apple store used to be.

-Kevin

14. NineFace macrumors newbie

what is the best way to check the dead pixels and tinting or yellowing at store? :confused:

15. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

For me, I always setup the iPad as a new blank iPad. That's quickest.

For any dead pixels I've had.....I think they may have just been specs under the glass. Regardless....I turn brightness to 100% and go into a white Safari screen. I just quickly look for black dots of either pixels, dust or hair. I'm looking for anything OBVIOUS. I don't need to stare....just a quick once or twice over and if I don't see anything I'm usually good.

Trust me, I just swapped one last night and sure enough....two "spots" under the screen on the new one....right in the middle. They said probably not dead pixels....but definitely something under the glass.

I think Apple are rushing these too fast.

-Kevin

16. PaulWog Suspended

Sounds like apple isn't the problem in your case...

17. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

And exactly wtf were you planning to do with 300 ipads???

18. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

Beenblacklisted

hahahahah since then we returned all of them got credit took the credits to a tax free state and purchased a ******** of iphones.

Turned over many times, we dont *f* around.
    We Move Phones.

19. iCrosoft macrumors regular

iCrosoft

You can ask a genius to replace your dead pixel iPad and he will just swap it out for a yellowpad :D

20. intervenient macrumors 6502a

I will never understand the problem people have with dead pixels. They are so teeny tiny now, had you not done this ridiculous "testing" procedure, you probably would have NEVER noticed them.

21. SYale macrumors member

Actually, you don't normally have to test out the screen with the color pallettes to see the dead pixels. I caught mine watching a movie while it was on a bright background. After that, I could NOT stop noticing it. I didn't go searching for it. It's really bothersome.

Based on that, I took it back to Apple, and all the Genius did was look at the screen on white, saw it, and brought out a new one. She even remarked that she had one and was playing Oregon Trail when she noticed...

22. iCrosoft macrumors regular

iCrosoft

The pixels are teeny tiny now but it's not just one single dead pixel, it's a cluster; which is why you are able to spot it in the first place.

It is the most annoying when watching a movie.