Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neuzdotcom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2016
Cannes, France
I am having a weird problem - from within Safari (I believe) I keep having a tiny bit of text that pops up, saying "an extension is controlling this settings | disable". It's happening quite often, every few minutes. If I am in an application other than Safari, every few minutes I will get that message, and it toggles to Safari then back to the app I am in. Watching Activity Monitor, I am seeing an app (process) called appTM, which only appears for a sec or two - and seems to be related to that appearing/disappearing text message. When I am in Safari preferences, that text message appears within the preferences window. When I am not in the preferences, that text appears low and to the left of my screen. See my attachment I have ZERO Safari extensions installed. Any ideas?

Attachments

• aptm.png
    aptm.png
    129.7 KB · Views: 118

neuzdotcom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2016
Cannes, France
Thanks. I'm using bitdefender - scanning - it found 3 trojans (never viewed or launched email attachments) but deleted them. The problem is continuing. Is etrecheck better? Why isn't it at the AppStore?

EDIT 10/1/2017. It appears I contracted pabapara somehow. I followed these steps...

https://malwarefixes.com/how-to-remove-pabapara/

... after deleting the app, Dr. Cleaner said there were 5.2 megs of related files, so through Dr. Cleaner... free from the app store...I uninstalled those files,. All seems to fine now... am hoping it stays that way!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.