What is best case for iPad 2 and a Bluetooth keyboard

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by jimmy1984, Aug 31, 2011.

1. jimmy1984 macrumors member

jimmy1984

Hey all, I am looking for a carrying case that hold my iPad 2 (with smart cover), and a Micrsoft 6000 Bluetooth Keyboard. Preferably it would be somewhat small/sleek, but everything I'm finding is either only for iPad with no external compartments, or a laptop brief case.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

2. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Don't get your hopes up. As great as the Microsoft 6000 Bluetooth keyboard is, its sales just don't justify designing/manufacturing a case dedicated fitting it and an iPad together.

I have both the M'soft and the Apple Wireless Keyboard. The latter mainly because the Origami Workstation is designed for it. Actually, I think the Microsoft keyboard is superior in several ways. (I've used mine with a laptop for several years.) It's less expensive ($32), more ergonomic (curved), and has equal or better key action. Unfortunately but inevitably, it's a bit wider than the AWK and that makes it impossible to fit in my Waterfield Designs Travel Express Case. (The AWK and Origami Workstation just barely fit.)

I think you're going to have to go with a small messenger bag if you want to use the Microsoft keyboard with your iPad. I use a Timbuk2 "Freestyle" messenger bag. It has a dedicated pocket for the iPad and holds the Microsoft Keyboard nicely. Combined with a stand (e.g. Belkin Blade) for the iPad and it makes a nice combination.

3. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

Word of the day, brought to you by jsh1120 :D
    your the second person i know who mentions the oragami workstation today. it's pretty nice but as you stated, fitted for the apple keyboard.

4. jimmy1984 thread starter macrumors member

jimmy1984

would you recommend a laptop sleeve for say a 15 inch laptop, Then I can place the iPad 2 with smart cover and the Microsoft 6000 bluetooth keyboard in the sleeve?

Anyone do something like this?

5. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I do something like that when I'm traveling. I have a Waterfield Designs "Cargo" bag that I've used for years. When I fly, I take the Cargo bag with my 15" laptop in its own sleeve in the bag and the Microsoft 6000 keyboard in a pocket in the sleeve along with the 40 lb power brick and cable separately in the bag. (Yeah, it's a slight exaggeration.) There is still sufficient room for the iPad (even in the Travel Express Case with the Origami Workstation, power cube, cable, and mobile hotspot.) And there is even room for my noise-cancelling headphones and my foldable Sennheiser portable headphones. Yeah, I know...What about the kitchen sink?

Obviously, no sane person carries all this stuff at the same time. But I need the laptop and accessories for my work. (The iPad is not a quadcore work station.) The iPad I use on the plane (in place of a netbook I used to use) and I like to have it in my hotel room for various purposes. I don't really need the additional keyboard dedicated to the iPad, but when I go to meetings with clients I can leave the big bag at the hotel and take the small Travel Express case with the Origami Workstation and Apple Wireless Keyboard.

So, to answer your question, if you need a laptop get one commodious enough to carry the iPad as well and you're all set. Obviously, unless you have a need for two keyboards, you can use the Microsoft 6000 with both your laptop and the iPad. (That assumes, of course, that you hate laptop keyboards as much as I do.)

Alternatively, just get a relatively large bag designed for a 15" laptop, (or even for a 13" laptop if you're just going to carry the iPad), possibly a sleeve for the iPad or just a cover, and a small stand to hold the iPad for typing (e.g. Belkin blade) and you're set.

6. jimmy1984 thread starter macrumors member

jimmy1984

I am not wanting a laptop, as much as a laptop sleeve (or any sort of bag) to hold the iPad and Microsoft 6000 Bluetooth Keyboard

7. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

In that case, a messenger bag like the Timbuk2 Freestyle (or any number of similar bags) should do well for you.

8. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

If you want to go to an actual store to get a bag then check out Fossil, I've gotten 2 murses from there recently.

9. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Incase Travel Kit Plus but I think it's hard to find.

10. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I think that's because it was designed for the original iPad and hasn't been updated by Incase. iPad 2 might fit. Not sure. But given the difficulty of locating one, it may not be worth taking a chance.

11. godkorg macrumors member

godkorg

love this one!!

I just got this and I'm loving it to bits!! It does such a great job of holding the keyboard and iPad together. Only thing that annoyed me is to make it compatible with iPad 2 it comes with a ''skin'' you put on the iPad to make it a bit bigger so it fits snug, but I actually LOVE the skin... You can use the iPad out of the case and its still protected. The speaker and camera cut-outs are very nice and it feels good in the hands. I was very pleasantly surprised by it :)

I'll make a separate post with pics of my rig... but wow what a cool case :) also comes in black and red.

http://www.isound.net/shop-by-type/cases/i-sound-keyboard-portfolio-for-ipad.html

[​IMG]

12. techdude6693 macrumors 6502

Try the SFBags iPad Travel Express. You can get in sleeve form or option a strap onto it for a bag use. I carry my iPad 2 in a smart cover + back cover, along with a keyboard and backup battery. Works fine