What is best DVD editing software for mac?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by stephenmurphyjr, Jul 12, 2011.

1. stephenmurphyjr macrumors newbie

i have a macbook pro and want to cut parts of a dvd.

what is the best software to acheive this?

thanks.

stephen

2. the vj macrumors 6502a

Extract the DVD with Mac the riper, that is to transfer the entire disc image into your hard drive.

Then you can use Cinematize or MPEG Streamclip.

You could actually use the last two and read directly from the DVD but it would be very slow.

With those softwares you can choose what you want extract from the DVD and make it into any video format.

Then you can edit them in FCP or iMovie or when ever you want.

3. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

I use MDRP for ripping. DVDremaster has good extraction options if you want to remove chapters and superfluous soundtracks.

With the ripped VIDEO_TS folder, send that to MPEG Streamclip and export to a huge DV file. Import that to iMovie, remove scenes you don't want to show your naive impressionable parents, then export to iDVD and let your computer run for 3 days while it creates a horribly re-compressed video full of artifacts.

4. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

MPEG Streamclip (assuming you have the Apple Quicktime MPEG 2 component) can let you cut the VOBs into bits and rejoin them into an MPEG file which you can then burn to DVD (I use Toast, I assume iDVD can handle it).

It's fast and there's no recompression involved at all. Everything is just rewrapped and joined.

Negatives: the only editing you can do is cuts and MPEG Streamclip cuts only on keyframes, you can't cut on just any frame.

5. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

Does this destroy subtitles? I think my method probably does, but I use Avidimux to extract and create SRT files so it's not really an issue.

6. berndkiltz macrumors member

I Use a software named DVDxDVPro to read the Files from DVD. It creates .mov files which I can import to FCP directly. Very good quality!
    I use DVDstudio PRo for the Authoring, but you could use imovie or Toast 11 to do that as well.