What Is Best For a MacBook's Longevity?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by darijoe, Mar 19, 2009.

1. darijoe macrumors regular

It's my birthday in a few weeks and my parents have been kind enough to let me have a MacBook. The thing I'm wondering the most about is what kind of configuration would make it more usable for longer? Yes I will most likely be ordering online.

Leaving hard-drive sizes out of the equation and for longevity's sake, should I buy a MacBook with the standard configuration for the 2.4 GHz model with 2GB of memory and a 250GB drive, or should I have a custom-built 2.0 GHz model with 4GB of memory and a 250GB drive? I know the custom configuration is cheaper, but with a slower processor and doulbe the memory, could it cope better with future OS's and apps?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Anything Core 2 or better will be able to handle OS' through 10.7.

Meaning, any computer that Apple has sold since August 2007 will work.

3. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

Consider that in the future you can always upgrade memory when you see fit, you can buy a larger hard drive as well to cope with your needs.

It might be worth going for the stronger processor however. You could even consider waiting a little longer and saving a bit more for the baseline MBP.

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I would buy the one with the faster processor, as it's much easier (and cheaper) to add RAM than to change a processor.

5. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Do you have a source for this or is it just idle speculation?

Going back to the thread starter's question - as others have said, given the ease of upgradability of the MacBooks it might be worth splashing out on the better processor now and upgrading the RAM and HD as and when you need it (you will most likely be able to do this cheaper yourself than going through Apple's BTO route)

6. darijoe thread starter macrumors regular

Haha!! Good point, Tallest Skil. Thanks very much.

Hmmm...why the **** didn't I think of that? Thanks for that advice, Aegelward. I was considering a MBP but (although it might sound crazy to some) I want a 13" screen for its better portability. I'll just load up the high-end MB system.

Thanks for those notes too, thomasp!!

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You're right. Apple isn't going to let Snow Leopard run on anything but the Nehalem Mac Pro for a full seven months.

8. kolax macrumors G3

Bear in mind the MacBook Pro's screen is much better quality - great viewing angles and good blacks and contrast. The MacBook's screen is pretty poor. If your near anywhere that sells Macs, pop in and see for yourself. You might find the MacBook is fine for your needs, or you might be irritated by it.

Plus you get a much better graphics card.

The 15" isn't that much bigger/heavier than the MacBook, and is still a really portable machine. I carry mine to and from Uni everyday with no problems.

9. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

i'd buy the stock 2.4, then upgrade harddrive and ram when and if you need to.

10. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Max out the ram and learn when to turn off or just put it to sleep!

11. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

I'm going to add to the general consensus of getting the 2.4 and waiting to upgrade the RAM until you see fit. If you're only going to be doing web surfing, writing, listening to music, etc, you really don't even need the 4GB, or at least right away. Plus, the 2.4 gets you the illuminated keyboard, which although it isn't needed necessarily, it's an awesome feature, or so i've heard.