What is best ram configuration for macpro1,1?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dermeister, Dec 16, 2010.

1. dermeister macrumors 6502

dermeister

I've been upgrading my mp1,1 recently, and I'm now wondering what would be the best ram configuration. I'm thinking of getting a minimum of 8 GB. I don't need to max out the machine or anything. It's just that I currently have 2x512MB + 2x1GB = 3GB and I am thinking I should ditch those and get nice matching sticks with more capacity.

A few general questions:

I hear the mp1,1 takes 667 MHz ram, but can support 800 MHz sticks (it will just run them at 667). Any purpose in getting 800 (i.e. compatibility with more machines in case I upgrade in the future), or should I just go for the cheapest?

I've heard of triple channel ram (i.e. 3 sticks per riser) - does the mp1,1 support that or is it for newer machines only?

I've also heard that using 4 sticks on a single riser is the fastest config (or was it 2 sticks per riser?). Any truth to this?

I'm thinking of getting 4 GB sticks. Can I use 8 GB sticks? Worth it?

Basically, I'm wondering what the general consensus is on the ultimate memory config for mp1,1.

Thanks!

2. kunia macrumors regular

Mac Pro's ram is DDR2...DIMMs must be installed in pairs of equal size from the same vendor...so its 2, 4, 6 or 8.
    If 667 chips are cheaper than 800, there's no point of getting 800s - you'll pay more and they'll run at 667. And you can't use 8GB sticks in 1,1...max is 4 for total of 32.
    I have 2x8 in my old mac pro -worked fine for me. But I think going 4x4 might be "faster" - and I'd probably go for that.
    I have this crazy RAM rule - don't mix brands, don't mix sizes:)

Just checked OWC for their prices - damn..$507.99 for 2x8...$599.97 for 4x4
    and I paid around 650 back in early 08 for 2x8...didn't change much!
    and yea..667 are cheaper than 800.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory#667-memory

adrian

3. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Here's an old layout chart for the 2006 Mac Pro (I love seeing the 512MB modules :p)

Basically, put the larger DIMM pairs closest to the mainboard. So if you were doing 8GB with 4 - 2GB DIMMS, then put 2 each on each Riser closest to the mainboard.

-Kevin

Attached Files: