What is best Time Capsule or AEBS + NAS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mr Ski 73, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Mr Ski 73 macrumors regular

As described really, I have noticed people with performance issues on the Time Capsule and I am also concerned about the quality of the drive.

2. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

The first question is what do you want to do with it? If its a networked Time Machine space you want, then Time Capsule seems to fit the bill quite nicely.
    The quality of the drive in the machine seems to be decent from what I've read (an SATA Deskstar unit, at least in the 1TB models). But if you're going to worry about the hard drive in your backup device dying (presumably at the same time as your Mac's hard drive dies, too, before you could get it fixed/replaced), then perhaps an HD-based backup solution is not for you or perhaps you'd be better off with a hot-swappable external drive solution and more sophisticated backup software. Then again, such a setup will cost much more than the Time Capsule does.

For me, if the Time Capsule should die, then I'll shut my computers down and get the unit fixed/replaced, and use an alternative backup solution until the TC is restored. If you want to micromanage the drives within, then the Time Capsule is not the product for you.

3. Mr Ski 73 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi I am more interested in the NAS capabilities within the drive and primarily want to use the drive as a host for iphoto and itunes rather than for back up although This would be a useful feature as I do not use anything for time machine at present.